Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your advice on this forum! I'm new to keeping fish and have a 5.5 gallon tank with a 1 pepper cory, 1 green cory and 1 albino cory. The pet store said that they wouldn't know the difference between species and would school - now I'm not so sure. I would love your thoughts on whether they have enough space.

The big issue, though, is that they are VERY lethargic. They barely move and they don't get excited about food. I've had these cories for about two weeks and they have never gone for food.

I've tested the water with test strips and it appears fine. They move if touch the gravel with a net and don't seem to be in distress. I've also checked on them at night. No movement.

I've been feeding them API bottom feeder food sinking pellets and Hikari sinking wafers. I usually put one or two in, in the evening and then pull them out untouched 30 minutes later. I was thinking to change the water 30% weekly unless you think it should be more often.

Would love any advice you may have!
Thank you!

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
24 Posts
I have never used the API pellets, but all of my corys like the Hikari sinking wafers. As I had mentioned in the other thread, corys are generally pretty shy. I think this is especially true with the smaller ones, who have many more predators to worry about. I would suggest leaving a wafer in overnight and see if it gets eaten.

If you don't mind blackworms colonizing your gravel, I'd try feeding them some blackworms. Mine eat them like spaghetti and any worms they miss first pass will dig in and be available to grub out later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts