Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i have a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium with alot of fish, few anemones and no coral, and seeing as though i live in australia and its summer now i was wondering what methods people have of cooling there aquarium, cause our air conditioning doesn't help at all..

any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
One you could buy chiller, but if not get some fans and blow them accross the water or freeze water inside a couple 2 liter bottles and let them float at the top.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The boy above me sure has been paying attention...

2 liter bottles work ok when you are home. If you have a job, electricity for these tanks doesn't come free.... then someone will need to change them while you are gone. The one problem I have with the 2 liter way is that your temp will constantly vary. If you forget or wait to long the temp can come back up... The best reason for a chiller is that your tanks temp will become extremely stable.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes a chiller is the best way. Just one thing Make sure you buy one that is larger then you need. I bought one that said it would lower my tank which it does but it never shuts off when my Halides are on.
I used the frozen water in 2 liter. for a some time it worked ok. I put them in my sump not the display tank.
Roger

·
Registered
60 Posts
Living in Hawaii I had the same problem. My first place had free electricity so i just bought a 15,00 BTU A/C and it worked grate kept me and my tank cool. My new place does haver free electricity so i had to buy a Chiller. YEs get one that is bigger then you need for your tank. No only will it save you on electricty but it will keep the temperature at a nice even range. The smaller ones make the water fluctuate much more. I have a 55 G too and i have a Chiller for a 80 Gallon tank. IT works great and will be great once summer comes. Though the 400 i spent on it sure would have got me some nice things to look at. At least what i have wont die.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Chiller will stop the problem and help maintain the water temperature at a preset level, but expect increase of electricity consumption equivalent to 1 hp air condition. But if you are living in a country with 2 season, u will need them during winter.

Some ppl i saw, using plastic bottle freeze in the refrigerator top compartment, then put them in sumptank so tat the water get chilled. They put alot of those, so taht when the tank temperature goes up, they put 5 tube into it, then another 5 tube as standby. It's kind of troublesome but this is the most economical way to help adjust the water temperature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts