Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I am about to get my first fish tank as I am very interested in this hobby. I would like to know if these fish/invertebrates are compatible and if this tank would be overstocked. I will be getting a 50 gallon tank. with a school of long finned danios (I believe I need 5?), a school of cardinal tetras (5 also?), black skirt tetras (5 again?), and three guppies (yes they will breed but I am hoping the other fish will eat most if not all fry?). As for invertebrates I will be getting fire cherry shrimp, red algae eating shrimp, red crystal shrimp, ghost shrimp, and one (or two) red Mexican dwarf lobsters. this sound like a lot and I thin it would be overstocked but a friend of mine said it would be fine... he also said that the fish could probably go for a few days without feeding because of all the baby shrimp and fry? this will be a planted tank, I am not sure of filter size yet nor am I sure what types of plants. I realize that my tank will have to be established for a while before I introduce the shrimp/crayfish. so... any advice? I am okay if fry and babies are eaten.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I do hope that you realise that the black skirts will devour your shrimps, particularly your cherries and crystal reds. However if you have your heart set on the danios/black skirt; best to introduce the shrimp first let them multiply like crazy for a few months and then add the shrimp eaters. Just be prepared to see little of your shrimp as they will spend most of their time hiding.
A better choice might be to look at ember tetras or micro rasboras. These rather small species will mean that you could easily have around 20 for each along with the guppies. Plus they are (adult) shrimp safe; so as long as there area few clumps of java moss and multiple hiding places some of the babies will survive.

(A good alternative to guppies would be to have endlers, they smaller so you can worry less about overstocking. Plus they have a smaller mouth; so they won't be as likely to prey on the babies.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts