Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a beginner in the aquarium world, but I recently moved and ran into a problem with finding a selection of fish that would thrive in the hard water that I have. The liquid tests are showing the hardness to be around 250 area (16-18 drops). The PH has been a steady 7.6 thankfully. I transplanted some live plants from the old set up and have 2 pieces of DW (not sure of the kind). The aquarium is a 29g, which might be hard to have multiple schools.

Any suggestion on what I would be able to keep in such hard water conditions? I know livebearers would do great in those conditions, anyone know about Half beaks and Goodeid? LFS just got a shipment of them in and I have never seen them before.

Thanks.

·
Banned
196 Posts
African riff lake cichlids could be an option and most of the common livebearer do well in harder water and so will Goldfish but tank size limits you here. Almost any fish, with few exceptions, can be acclimated to hard water. Hard water is not a bad thing, it is much easier to maintain a stable environment in an aquarium that has some hardness to the water.

R

·
Registered
645 Posts
you only really need to worry about ph being too high if you are attempting to breed certain species or if there is an especially delicate wild caught fish. a stable ph is more important than a high one.proper acclimation is important. take it slowly,drip acclimation is a good route to take. most of the fish you will find at the lfs are captive bred and will transition easier.you can ask your lfs where they get their stock from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have read that harder water is easier to have fish in because of the high amount of minerals that are in the water. With softer water fish are not able to get the right amount of nutrients.

I was really hoping to get angels but I might be pushing it there. I might go with the Half Beaks, Rummy nose and some Otos.

·
Banned
196 Posts
I really don't see a problem with Angelfish. Most will be raised within a hundred mile of me (75% of the fish farm in the USA are, with the another 20% in the Miami area) so unless they're imports they came from Florida and our water is generally >100 ppm kH and > 150-200 ppm gH. Like SB said It only becomes a problem if your breeding.

R

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you make Angels more tempting but my PH is about 7.6 which is a little to high for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While testing my water to see how far the cycle is going, I found something completely astounding.....2 Rainbowfish babies. They can't be anymore than 2 days old.

Back story.

I had a 46g bow set up with Red Banded, Yellow Australian, and Neon Rainbowfish. The Yellow female and Banded male were spawning and didn't see anything for a few weeks. I sold the fish and the tank but wasn't able to sell the plants and couldn't throw them away, so my tank fever instantly started again.

I bought a 29g, kept the plants and ghost shrimp in a bucket for a few days while I got it set up. It was maybe 4 days between when I sold the fish and put the plants in the new tank. It is completely amazing on how the eggs on the Java Fern survived the transplanting process. Hopefully they survive the cycle!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update.

The 2 baby Rainbows are doing great. I did a water change 2 days ago and could only find one baby to put in a cup while I was cleaning and trimming the plants. But lo-and-behold after all the cleaning and putting the little one back in, a few mins later the second one made an appearance.

The ammonia has been holding at .25 and no nitrites and no nitrates.

I keep going back and forth on what to stock the tank with. Badis Badis, Honey Gourami, or Half Beaks.

Any suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds like you are doing good. congrates.

On the hard water, I have found that using peat moss capped with sand keeps my kH at around 4 degrees and gh at 9. but with just a sand substrate kh rose to over 20 degrees and gh over 40 in a 2 year time. and neons did not do well.

On thing that was interesting is that with either pH was purple in the api high range test kit (8.4-8.8). Probably because the plants sucked out the co2. the tanks also did not have circulation of filters.

just an obversation

Worth at most .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I had the 46g set up I had a Fluval 305 with one of the selves with a peat moss bag. The PH was around 7.6ish but there really wasn't a difference with the GH. One problem I just thought of with the peat in the filter, the clean water going in wasn't treated with peat so it was going to be hard water.

At this point the ph has been showing 8.0 on the high ph and the hardness is leveling off at 18 drops, which I'm guessing in the 250 range.

Once it's all cycled, and a few water changes I will probably determine what fish will do great in there.

I'm hoping to get a co2 kit if I can bother my husband enough to get one.

Bob, what kind of fish are you keeping in your hard water?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
When I had the 46g set up I had a Fluval 305 with one of the selves with a peat moss bag. The PH was around 7.6ish but there really wasn't a difference with the GH. One problem I just thought of with the peat in the filter, the clean water going in wasn't treated with peat so it was going to be hard water.

At this point the ph has been showing 8.0 on the high ph and the hardness is leveling off at 18 drops, which I'm guessing in the 250 range.

Once it's all cycled, and a few water changes I will probably determine what fish will do great in there.

I'm hoping to get a co2 kit if I can bother my husband enough to get one.

Bob, what kind of fish are you keeping in your hard water?
I have kept neon tetras, danios, glofish, and silver hatchetfish in water with that pH. But the neons did much better in the tanks with the peat moss where the kh and gh were kept inline.

of course guppies and platies as well but that is to be expected.

FWIW I think the co2 kits actually rely on the kh and pH relationship. So measuring kh and pH can give you some idea of the co2. High pH with low kh means low co2. If you don't have a kh/gh kit I would get that first.

my .02

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I keep Boesemani RBF in my hard water, 8ph and Neon Swordtails. My Turq RBF seem to turn black and die off one by one... Surprisingly Congo Tetras do wonderfully in with the Boese (I think they prefer acidic tho). My Boese are now 3 years old. 2M/4F
The live bearers flourish but even with all the mop spawning I can't seem to get any BRBF fry. I think the other "odds & ends" fish have been egg eating. (It's a fully planted 75G)
I cannot seem to keep Oto's, Corys, Danios in this water tho... And I've done my fill of Cichlids, they either hide or fight. LOL.

Any thoughts of upgrading to 75? That will give you 48" length and that changes everything! ps... tanks multiply too! There is a $1 a gallon sale out there on till the end of Jan!! Just sayin' :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Rainbows that I had in the 46 bow did wonderfully. I just got tank fever after I sold them and the tank.:cry: And I had a gorgeous Bristlenose too, I sold him to a local petstore and saw him last week, which was kind of depressing.

I figured that it'll be hard to try to get a pair of scarlet badis, so I will probably go with Honey Gourami, and try to find a schooling fish. Was wanting ottos, so cute, but it'll be hard for them to survive.

I wish I could up grade, kind of contradicting myself by selling the 46, then got a 29 for plants, then going to a 75 haha but I think that the gallon sale is only up to the 55.

As of this morning
amm: .25
Ite: 0
Ate: 0
High PH: 8
KH: 12
GH: 17

The ph has been steady 8 for the past 4 days and the GH goes from 17-18.
I have been trying cycling with fish food but trying not to kill the two surprise baby Rainbows I have in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
frickin snails

Hey, I have a 55g tank set up. I recently bought a couple plecos from a pet store cause my old one died. I must have brought a snail home with it. Now my tank is being overtaken with snails. How do I get rid of them ? Is there a fish that will eat them ? thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, I have a 55g tank set up. I recently bought a couple plecos from a pet store cause my old one died. I must have brought a snail home with it. Now my tank is being overtaken with snails. How do I get rid of them ? Is there a fish that will eat them ? thanks !
You probably want to start your own thread for your snail problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little update.

The 2 baby Rainbows disappeared and I was upset, hopefully the ammonia didn't get them.
I went out and was talked into from my husband to get 2 Honey Gourami to have something to watch in the tank. The ammonia has been steady at .25, which the plants are probably helping keeping it down. The nitrates are around 2.0 area.

The Honey's were hesitant the first day in the new tank but the next day they were exploring the whole tank and loving the freedom.

I have been testing the water daily and the ph is steady 8, the Honey's look like they're having fun. Playing tag and swimming up and down the corners.

Still can't decided what my final stocking list is but more honeys would be fun to watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts