Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently added co2 system to my tank and after much reading I realisd that co2 is not required of a night. So I purchased a solenoid to shut off the supply of an evening.
This is where things get fun, everything works fine until about 3 hours after the valve closes and my co2 pipe explodes.
Am I doing something wrong. My set up is as follows co2 canister (set at 1 bubble per second)-tube-solenoid-tube-bubble counter-tube-diffuser. Or do I need stronger tubing

·
Registered
398 Posts
You need pressure fittings between canister and solenoid. When the solenoid is closed (there is no electricity), the pressure build up from the canister until the solenoid, a regular silicone tube can easily give in.
I have pressure resistant tubes because my regulator brings down the pressure from cylinder (1000 psi) to about 40 psi necessary to inject in atomic diffusers. I don't think normal airlines can handle more than 20 psi.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yep samething I tell everyone!!! Where is your pressure release valve?!?! When dealing with compressed gas It is a stupid mistake not to have one... Seriously dangerous... So you have to use the right piping and have a pressure release... They really should spend more time informing people how to set up a SAFE co2 system...
This is the second story where someones co2 blew due to a pressure build up this week..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts