Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my diy Co2 tank setup as of 11:00pm Last Night.
Here it is:

Here's the Tank its going on:

I read About Reactors. Do I Need one?

And now I need A good set of Ingriedients.I want a Recipe That Lasts A Month.(If Possible)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats, I recently built one too! I used two 2L bottles, joined with a T. The recipe I used is 2C sugar and 1/2 Tbs yeast in each bottle, and it seems to be going great. It's not been going for a complete cycle yet, so I can't tell you how long this will last, but it's putting out a nearly constant stream of tiny bubbles. There has been noticable growth over the three days it's been running. The length it goes will depend on three things: your yeast, the temp of the bottles, and the amount of sugar in the bottles. Yeast like temps in the mid 70s F, and will do best there. Different strains of yeast have different growth rates, and some can tolerate more waste (alcohol :D) than other strains.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
matt, what type of glue are you using, it doesnt seem like your using 100% silicone, It is very dangerous to use glue thats not designed for aquariums. Also, do you have any plants?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, its all Mixed Together now how Long Till I Start to see bubbles Coming out the End?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried putting the end of the tube in front of the filter but it does'nt suck up the Bubbles.Can I Stick it in the top Maybe?

·
Registered
370 Posts
You COULD do it that way but I think I've figured out a better method based on looking at various commercial CO2 injection systems. One you could just go buy the co2 diffuser that come with most of them and feed your airline to it. The option I currently use however is to sink a small container (shot glass in my case) and weigh it down with some rock or something along those lines. Run the airline under that and let the co2 bubble into the upside down glass. Just make sure its well anchored or itll float away when enough co2 builds up. This way the co2 is trapped within the water and has more time to diffuse. Excess will work its way out of the glass and bubble up normally. Works wonders for me.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
matt, you need a better filter. An internal filter is alright for small, lowly stocked aquariums but yours is over stocked. You will be needing a better filter, a powerfilter would be best for that size tank, you might need double or even tripple filtration.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now the This Filter is fine Because I Do:
50% Water Change Every Day,
75% Water Change and Gravel Vac Every 3 Days.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Changing water stresses your fish, plus it can cause a hefty water bill, i would still suggest a better filter since it is better for the fish, and you.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lets not go of subject.I don't want this to be closed Because I still Need Help With the Co2.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im not gonna be able to get a picture up here anytime soon. Shouldn't really need one anyway...fill the shot glass with water...submerge it...turn it over place the airtube so it bubbles up into the shot glass...and weigh it down. piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts