Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 gallon freshwater set up for almost 3 years. I've recently gone through an Ick out break, which I believe is done. However, the 2 clown loaches and the 2 do jo loaches are totally not acting "themselves." Temp. is at 79 and the hang around the top of the tank. Recent WC was about 25% with no change in their conditions. Also, no one eats. In addition, the purple algae is irritating to look at. What's going on? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
30 gallon freshwater set up for almost 3 years. I've recently gone through an Ick out break, which I believe is done. However, the 2 clown loaches and the 2 do jo loaches are totally not acting "themselves." Temp. is at 79 and the hang around the top of the tank. Recent WC was about 25% with no change in their conditions. Also, no one eats. In addition, the purple algae is irritating to look at. What's going on? Thank you.
Have you tested the water for ammonia,nitrites?(some med's kill good bacteria)
When in doubt another water change maybe 40-50% would be My choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tested the water for ammonia,nitrites?(some med's kill good bacteria)
When in doubt another water change maybe 40-50% would be My choice.
I checked the water and Petco checked the water 0 ammonia 0 nitrites ph of 7.6 nitrates are bit high at 40.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You should invest in a API master test kit when you get the money.chance too.. Petsmart uses test strips petco uses liquid .. at least mine do now..

40 Nitrate is getting high, usually its hard to tell between 40 and 80 so in my opinion I would do a 50% water change your nitrates are probably higher then 40... And once they get to 40+ it takes 2x50% (1 50% each day I mean) water changes to bring them back down to levels that don't hurt fish... Do you have city tap water ? Are you using a water conditioner like prime to remove the chlorine in the water ?

Anyway, anytime someone says a 15-25% water change I kinda chuckle.. I do weekly 50% water changes in all 3 of my tank the 27g hex, the 30g long, and the 55g.. Changign that much water wont hurt your fish... Its actually beneficial to get fresh clean water in there and lower those nitrates.. Not sure about the purple algae.... But did you use any kind of medicine when you had ich ?? Did you raise your temps ?? If you used meds did you take your carbon filters out of the tank ? Those filters neutralize medicine.. and if your ich is gone.. or not I would still do a 50% water change and use prime to condition the water

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should invest in a API master test kit when you get the money.chance too.. Petsmart uses test strips petco uses liquid .. at least mine do now..

40 Nitrate is getting high, usually its hard to tell between 40 and 80 so in my opinion I would do a 50% water change your nitrates are probably higher then 40... And once they get to 40+ it takes 2x50% (1 50% each day I mean) water changes to bring them back down to levels that don't hurt fish... Do you have city tap water ? Are you using a water conditioner like prime to remove the chlorine in the water ?

Anyway, anytime someone says a 15-25% water change I kinda chuckle.. I do weekly 50% water changes in all 3 of my tank the 27g hex, the 30g long, and the 55g.. Changign that much water wont hurt your fish... Its actually beneficial to get fresh clean water in there and lower those nitrates.. Not sure about the purple algae.... But did you use any kind of medicine when you had ich ?? Did you raise your temps ?? If you used meds did you take your carbon filters out of the tank ? Those filters neutralize medicine.. and if your ich is gone.. or not I would still do a 50% water change and use prime to condition the water
I did not meducate the tank, just increased temp. I have an API test kit with city tap water which has 0 nitrates out of the faucet. Thank you very much!

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Anyway, anytime someone says a 15-25% water change I kinda chuckle.. I do weekly 50% water changes in all 3 of my tank the 27g hex, the 30g long, and the 55g.. Changign that much water wont hurt your fish... Its actually beneficial to get fresh clean water in there and lower those nitrates..
Agreed.. but a quick note here. I have a ton of tanks and most of them I end up doing 70-80% water changes on. Always have unless I'm trying to do 2 water changes at the same time lol. so 50% most certainly is safe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed.. but a quick note here. I have a ton of tanks and most of them I end up doing 70-80% water changes on. Always have unless I'm trying to do 2 water changes at the same time lol. so 50% most certainly is safe.

Yea I didn't want to say it so a new person would do it... But sometimes my nitrates in both tanks get pretty high because my bioload is high in my 27g hex and my mom overfeeds her fish and she has a high bioload too.. So I sometimes have to do a 50% one day then the next day I do another 50% and my nitrates go from 40 to around 10 after that...

Today though in my moms 30g I did 2 50% water changes her nitrates were 40-80... Grr she has to stop feeding them so much

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
welcome to the forum

However, the 2 clown loaches and the 2 do jo loaches are totally not acting "themselves." Temp. is at 79
Not trying to nitpick or anything, but dojo loaches are cold water fish and clown loaches are warm water fish. 79 is warm for the dojos and cold for the clowns. Aside from that, both species are highly social and should be kept in groups, the larger the better. And lastly, neither are suited to a 30 gallon long term. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but you ought to consider overhauling the stock of your tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts