Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two clown loaches in my office aquarium have changed their behavior since the introduction of two new fish to the tank. It has been about 10 days since the introduction of two new tetras to the tank. We added the tetras because there was only one tetra before and we deemed that it needed friends. However, now, the clown loaches have been hiding in a hollow rock formation. Before, their behavior was very active, swimming all over the tank, "greet" you during feeding time, chasing each other, etc. Now we barely see them. One comes out sometimes but not for long.

Please, any advise. We're all novice fish caretakers here at my office, but we love the fish and want the best for them.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
What type of tetra is it?

Likewise, fish just need to establish themselves on a new environment - aka new fish...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Neon tetras
If its them, i imagine the clowns giving them a harder time rather than the other way. Its probably just coincidence.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
are all your fish eating?
do you see any white spots on the fish?
Do you have any test kits, or have a LFS that can test your water?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seemed like one of the clown loaches wasn't eating but it was hard to tell them apart when only one would come out of hiding. No white spots and no test kits.

Good news though, both clown loaches were swimming around everywhere like normal this morning when the office first opened. They both ate too. Currently one is back to hiding again and the other is staying around the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It seemed like one of the clown loaches wasn't eating but it was hard to tell them apart when only one would come out of hiding. No white spots and no test kits.

Good news though, both clown loaches were swimming around everywhere like normal this morning when the office first opened. They both ate too. Currently one is back to hiding again and the other is staying around the bottom of the tank.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Truer words were never spoke

From my own experience with several other species of loach, I found them to be temperamental at times. For example, kuhli loaches are known to disappear and then reappear months later. I’ve experienced that myself - the whole lot of them went into hiding for some reason and then reappeared later for some reason, and then later they spawned for some reason. I wish I knew the reasons .

Of all the types of fish I’ve kept, I definitely understand loach behavior the least. I think that’s just their nature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts