• Like this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a 10 gallon fish tank all my life and I only had cloudy water once and it was after cleaning the water. So I used to have gold fish live 3 years then die due to my brother well any way. I have a 37 now and I get cloudy water and it just keeps getting worse. So I did a 80 percent water change and gravel clean. When I used the gravel cleaner it was pulling Green cloudy stuff and lots of poop. And it seems I always have cloudy water and I'm 16 so I don't have money to go get tap water fixer or anything like that. I have 3 gold fish 2 and a half years old. A octopus one new and I had a gold fish but he died and he go stuck inside my shell in the tank. I have a top fin 40 and the top fin internal 40 ml. I'm so sick of the cloudy water. Oh and my filters are green and never like brown. I have a heater. I don't know what to do and when I did the 80 water change it looked good where there was no water just want it to look normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your tank is most likely cloudy because your having a cycle issue. I would do some deep diving research on how to cycle a tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may need to up your water change schedule to 40% water changes with gravel vacuuming twice a week. Fish with high bioloads like yours often do best with that maintenance schedule. Filter maintenance can also help. You can take the filter tubing and clean it when you do the water changes, to ensure that the tubes aren't getting detritus stuck in them to the point that they can no longer suck up all the dirt and feces in the water. You can also take out the filter media and clean it in a container of aquarium water outside of the tank once a month. Make sure to never expose the filter media to undechlorinated water, though, as beneficial bacteria that live in the filter and keep things clean would be killed by water with chlorine (such as tap water). If the increased maintenance schedule doesn't help enough with getting rid of the cloudiness, then you might look into getting some water polisher. This is just a type of filter media that catches very fine particles such as those that cause water cloudiness, and you can find it for anywhere from $3-$15 dollars and cut it so it fits the size of your filter. You should be able to order some water polisher for aquarium filters online.

If the cloudiness in the water is green, it could actually be an algae bloom. Everything I already mentioned will help with that, too, but in addition lowering the hours of light to 7-8 per day should help reduce cloudiness due to algae.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi John

I had a similar issue to yours where the water was green, the fish and plants were healthy and the tank parmaters perfect.

I tried water changes more often / less often/ fine filter pads and nothing worked, until at almost a last resort i tried a UV steriliser . I bought a cheap sun-sun in tank version only 35AU$. After running it for a few days i noticed the green was now brown. Over the next few water changes i left it running and the water has now turned into the clarity we all love,

I have since removed it from the tank for several weeks and the cloudiness has not returned. I was nervous about it stuffing up the gentle balanced ecology and all that but found it did its job with no negative side effects. That was my experience,

Good luck feeling your pain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts