Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i'm fishless cycleing 55 gal tank i put a filter cartridge from my ten gal in to my new bio wheel fiter how should i keep it in there for. its been in right now for about 3 hours should i take it out

·
Registered
707 Posts
My impression was that you should leave the filter media in until the tank has cycled but I have no idea what I'm talking about :wink: .

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
yea...that sounds right. leave it in until your tank is cycled. it should cycle quickly with the media from the established tank.

bri

·
Registered
620 Posts
yes...your doing the same thing that i did with my 55 gallon when i started it up...I took the filter from my 10 gallon into my 55 gallon and it cycled the tank within 2 days! I also had my other filter 4 the tank hooked up also. And I had gravel from my 10 also...so my cycle was a piece of cake. You should be doing good with that kept on!

Nick

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i got plants and filter certridge in there a 20 gal filter and a 75 gal filter so im good to go

·
Registered
620 Posts
I want to see a pic!

·
Registered
620 Posts
what happened to the zebra danios?

·
Registered
620 Posts
wait nevermind I get you and JSMS or w/e mixed up you know?

·
Registered
707 Posts
hehe. my danios are alive and well, also a new plant sprouted today (and the others are growing like crazy)!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Okay, here is the question: if you start your new tank by adding filter media from an established tank, should you not be adding ammonia as well? I recently upgraded from 25 gallons to 46 gallons, by using a handful of the old gravel and some filter media from the established aquarium to the new one, but I also used the Cycle product (which I know no one approves of). No fish loss!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
blue_gourami45 said:
Okay, here is the question: if you start your new tank by adding filter media from an established tank, should you not be adding ammonia as well? I recently upgraded from 25 gallons to 46 gallons, by using a handful of the old gravel and some filter media from the established aquarium to the new one, but I also used the Cycle product (which I know no one approves of). No fish loss!
Ammonia is best added in a tank which has no fish. They are very toxic to fish if tank water has high pH. Low pH reduces the toxicity.

·
Banned
750 Posts
There is fishless cycling where you add bacteria from an established tank and actually add ammonia (chemical) into the tank. The problem with that is, you have to get 100% ammonia and you have to constantly measure your ammonia in the tank.

I still like the natural method of adding bacteria from an established tank and adding a few fish every week or so, until the tank is fully stocked.

My reason for me not liking those bacteria starters is that, some of them supply different type of bacteria normally found in an established tank. They will assist in feeding on ammonia and nitrItes, but the only way to reconolize them is to keep adding them via the bottle. And if stop adding the bacteria after a long period, your tank will go through a cycle, since your not adding any more bacteria and the natural cycle starts to take over.

The only bacteria starters I have heard to be close to the natural tank is Biospyra. Unfortunately, the bottle must be kept refrigerated. I can imagine during the hot summer months of Biospyra isn't helping when it's in the process of being shipped. Therefore, you don't really know the quality of the bacteria you are getting.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have noticed, also, that the Cycle product does not mention refrigerating after opening anymore (at one time it did). Very strange. Since joing this forum, though, I don't use the bottled products anymore. I just got a new stand that will hold a 28 gallon bow front aquarium, will be getting that within the next two months and plan to cycle it properly :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts