Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I used to have a 72gal cichlid setup. And wanted plants but they would eat him or tear them up out the gravel. Doing research found out that them two should not go together.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I added cichlids to my well planted tank a few months ago. I really loved the plants, but knew it was a choice between one or the other. The plants lasted about a month maximum, and I now have silk plants in the tank.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i agree. i have a convict and if she is anywhere near a plant she starts digging it out.i could have one plant in a huge tank and she would decide to dig right into the roots.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discus, angels and apistos are a few of the cichlids compatible with plants.;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
My rams are OK with my plants, the only ones they eat are pennywort and Alternanthera Roseafolia. Vals, swords, anbuias have all been fine with them.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I must admit I saw my angels ate my Nymphaea stellata before.:quiet: :lol:

·
Registered
763 Posts
i had keyholes eat the folowing

java moss
ricca
hornwort
fairy moss
duck weed
water sprite
red millfoil

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Most cichlids will DESTROY a planted aquarium. If they don't eat the plant, their incessant digging makes it impossible for the root system to function. I must say that my Geo. balsanii, and others, do dig, but not around the plants. Weirdos, I guess. I do provide them an adequate open area to excavate, however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts