Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Depends. Some of the small dwarf cichlids from South America might work with certain gourami species. Generally it is not recommended, as the gourami and cichlid males are territorial and aggressive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bolivian Ram is one. Read the cichlid profiles under the menu above. Look at the temperament section for each species. There are at least a few ciclids that are compatible with gouramis.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the characteritics and it says that Electric yellows are generally okay to be put into a community tank. Looks like Ill be getting one this weekend.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I looked at the characteritics and it says that Electric yellows are generally okay to be put into a community tank. Looks like Ill be getting one this weekend.
Where does it say that? I'd bet they mean in a rift lake cichlid community, not in a general community tank.

Any of the cichlids from the rift lakes are best only with other cichlids from those lakes, and that doesn't mean any cichlids either.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my cousin has them in a communal tank and they are harmless. I dislike it when people say you cant mix fish. every person has a different personality, so does every fish.yes some species may be more aggressive but every electric yellow that I have seen is peaceful

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
my cousin has them in a communal tank and they are harmless. I dislike it when people say you cant mix fish. every person has a different personality, so does every fish.yes some species may be more aggressive but every electric yellow that I have seen is peaceful
The water parameters are different for one thing.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
true, but africans are really hardy
True, but that is no reason to force them into an environment that is not natural to them. Fish are created the way they are by nature, and they need certain things. Providing the best environment for a species is more likely to mean happy and healthy fish. We are dealing with living ctreatures, not decorations for our own benefit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts