Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a deal 10 4" cholla logs for $10 +$6 for shipping.

For those who have plecos, how much time did your pleco spend nomming on it? How long did it last? Did it disintegrate with little to no "pleco nomming"? I mainly ask because these logs would work excellentally to hold some java fern and anbuis. Yet it also could be beneficial to my bulldog pleco. I've seen him on my current DW pieces, but not very much. I really like these logs, but if they disintegrate over the course of a few months with little use from the pleco, not sure I want to spend the money on them just to have my plants lose what they just took root to....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think you should be fine, at least in regards to it being eaten. As far as I know bulldog plecos don't eat much or any wood. I did a search around the net to see if I remembered right and couldn't find any references to wood being a part of the diet of any Chaetostoma species.

On the other hand, cholla doesn't last long at all underwater. People often put it in their shrimp tanks to be eaten. I've seen pictures of it after 6-8 months and there won't be enough to tie plants to. Not sure if shrimp helped it along though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hm....I'm hoping to find something that will work well on tying down some java fern and anbuis.

I don't have access to hardwood trees that haven't been sprayed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is a lot of driftwood for sale on net..how big of a limb do you need? The ones at petco will surprisingly be competitive in price when you add shipping, but don't be afraid of buying online..I have a dozen pieces from 4 or 5 different places..I suspected the temporary nature of cholla..that is why I read your thread.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just fine purchasing driftwood. Cholla Logs erode more quickly than "normal" driftwoods. I was asking about how long they would last and if they're worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
not worth it is it ? :hmm:
i guess if you wanted something that was going to waste away,then its ok,
however if you're wanting something to anchor your plants too then
mopani (sp) would be good,like CJD ^^ said,there is plenty to be had
aroound stores or online,some really nice bits,that will look amazing
with a fern attached....i've seen some on sale at my LFS with the fern
already attached.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have 2 mopani driftwoods in my tank.
I like cholla logs alot because of their "holey" nature. I wouldn't mind attaching java fern/Anubis to it. But if it erodes too quickly....then what's the purpose of it besides potentially feeding bottom feeders? :/

CJD, I have 3 silvers, 1 blushing kio, 1 pearlscale smokey and 1 yellow marble.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way

Oh, good, FishyFish..I'm glad you continue conversation..I apologize if I made you mad. I was really only trying to state I felt cholla was probably not worth the investment, but my budget is kind of tight. I spent a little time looking at what cholla was, and I can't see that it would be especially nutricious or beneficial. Its simply a wild cactus that grows crazy out west..I think its sort of a gimmick. I suppose it would be worth finding out if your plec enjoys it? But tying java fern/moss,..I believe we should stick with something more permanent. I am not a pleco expert by any means..I have one male bristlenose who is probably about three years old..I got him when I bought a used 55 gallon tank .I asked about your angels because I'm looking to get a breeding pair of koi angels going,..I have tanks and tanks of angels..no koi, one of the lfs owners here in Inverness, Florida wants me to begin raising koi angels, too.Thanks for taking the time.:)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, good, FishyFish..I'm glad you continue conversation..I apologize if I made you mad. I was really only trying to state I felt cholla was probably not worth the investment, but my budget is kind of tight. I spent a little time looking at what cholla was, and I can't see that it would be especially nutricious or beneficial. Its simply a wild cactus that grows crazy out west..I think its sort of a gimmick. I suppose it would be worth finding out if your plec enjoys it? But tying java fern/moss,..I believe we should stick with something more permanent. I am not a pleco expert by any means..I have one male bristlenose who is probably about three years old..I got him when I bought a used 55 gallon tank .I asked about your angels because I'm looking to get a breeding pair of koi angels going,..I have tanks and tanks of angels..no koi, one of the lfs owners here in Inverness, Florida wants me to begin raising koi angels, too.Thanks for taking the time.:)
Oh no, I wasn't upset. I thought for a moment that you may have been confused.
I bought my kio angel from this guy: https://www.facebook.com/JosephHGordon
He just had a baby, so I'm not sure how open he is order wise, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
He usually sells bushels of kios at excellent prices. I only had space for 1 more angel and the $40 for that dude was WELL worth it xD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts