Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell me a little about these fish? maybe a link? i saw a show on natianal geographics and they were talking about this one like and the lake was famous for this one fish and it looked just like a chichilid but they did not use that name. So were do they come from? contenent,lake,stream,waterver.
Also my teacher called the school fish a goldfish but it is a chichilid, so i would like to know were goldfish come from,contenet, asia rite?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
im pretty sure goldfish come from the freshwater streams of china or japan or even both. I think the chichlid national geographic channel was talking about is the lake malawi chichlid which originated from lake malawi :eek:

·
Registered
699 Posts
its cichlid.... besides that i have no idea where there from because i dont own any, there not the best community fish :eek:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Goldfish are cyprinids, not cichlids.
There are three famous lakes I know of which have a vast array of cichlids. Lake Tanganyika, Lake Malawi and Lake Malawi. All three are from Africa.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think blue ment to say;

Blue said:
There are three famous lakes I know of which have a vast array of cichlids. Lake Tanganyika, Lake Malawi and Lake Victoria. All three are from Africa.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Gump said:
I think blue ment to say;

Blue said:
There are three famous lakes I know of which have a vast array of cichlids. Lake Tanganyika, Lake Malawi and Lake Victoria. All three are from Africa.
:oops: Whoops..I didn't notice I doubled the Malawi. Yes, you got it right.:mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
im pretty sure chichlids also come from freshwater lakes in north and south america, im not sure about the great lakes though...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
musho3210 said:
im pretty sure chichlids also come from freshwater lakes in north and south america, im not sure about the great lakes though...
Per Wikipedia (and this squares with what I have read elsewhere), Cichlids are most diverse in Africa and South America. There are also poulations in Central America (Nicaraguensis and Firemouth), 1 species in the Middle East, 1 in Iran, and 4 in the Indian Subcontinent. North America is largely free of cichlids except where they have been introduced (in Florida, for instance). There are also introdued populations in Southeast Asia (genus Cichla - peacock bass, a gamefish, just like in Florida).

That's cichlids of the world for you in 10 seconds or less.

·
Registered
707 Posts
trreherd: do you know what the name of the show/program was?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
Let's not forget the two species of Etroplus which I believe are brackish water. Darn...Two sections, Brackish and Cichlids, where do you think will the people asking about Etroplus post?:crazy:

·
Registered
699 Posts
i saw a rare breed of cichlid in a very large aquarium filled with fish not for sale at a fish store with a cichlid about half the size of that but thats the biggest by far.

·
Registered
707 Posts
How big, would you say, was the fish you saw?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ah kool thats the exact same footage i saw on national geographics. but as you see they did not use the word chichilid. thats the lake i was talking about. Me and my freind want to go snorkling in that lake when we get older. They call that fish the jewel of tangenica or something like that. They have this electric catfsih there and it zaps fish and eats them. very agressive catfish are. The water was soo blue and the fish were so awsome. they even had eels,snakes,and playful otters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts