Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am no professional, but have a bit of luck in your issue. I keep mine in a little fluvial chi - but with 2 small sponge filters rather than the chi's set up. I grow live plants in the middle, with an overhead aquarium led light for the plants. I have some small moss ball, and driftwood for their playtime.
Neighbors inside with them are 2 ember tetra, 2 cardinal tetra, one Otto, and a bunch of assassin's that I routinely separate out and sell to my local shop ( they breed as maddeningly as the shrimp).

Anyway, I have never had trouble getting the Cherry's to breed, molt, eat, etc. I keep temp about 77, and water used is some simple spring water from the bottle ( use gal jugs bought at the grocery store). I use this for the water because Cherry's need calcium, and the plants need the iron. I also add a fert tablet under the substrate twice a year.

I so partial water changes every week, on the weekends. I also recently added 2 very small baby killi clown fish, and there have still been no disruption to the shimp.

I would guess it's my diligence in keeping spring water as their water source, but I dunno. I've had this set up for over 2 years now, with not one prob. The shrimp get quite numerous, to the point I can so with them what I intended: use as live feeders fory bigger checkerboard cichlid/angelfish tank.

Gluck.

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have quite a bit of a toadbits floating on the top. So many I have to constantly yank a lot of the babies to keep the plants below receiving the needed light. I mention this not only due to the obvious nitrate benefits, but because my cherries absolutely LOVE hanging from the roots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
toadbits what are they :D google is not much help :)

That does make sense, the shrimp are from a store but my guppy s and mystery snails are from a private seller and they are doing amazing :D
Toadbits are a floating plant like tiny water Lillies. They are great for nitrate control, and water balance. They have kind of long (1/2 " long) roots that hang under the surface, and the shrimp love em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.