Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All :D
So i liked the idea of having a huge cherry shrimp army. I bought 6 and got a free baby. I keep the temp at about 70 degrees, they live with 2 mystery snails and some guppy's. They have some ferns and java moss and a few places to hide but they don't seem to want to breed. I see 1 or 2 with what looks like eggs fanning there belly's but nothing ever seems to come from it so i guess they are not fertilized. Its been 4 months now and ive lost 3, i am not to sure what happened but they are shedding so i am at a loss. What can i do to get them to start laying eggs :D

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
505 Posts
I have had the same problems. I have tried to own ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp, and other assorted shrimp many, many times but they have always failed in just 1-2 weeks. I have a little 1.5 gallon right now and got 6 shrimp. Its been 3 weeks and the water is perfect, live plants and everything but I've already lost one from either a molt, or cannibalism. I also cannot get them to breed which is really weird. Maybe try adding some more live plants? That could help, not that I've had any success with that but it might help in your situation. I would try dwarf hairgrass mine really seem to love munching on it.

·
Administrator
7-10 tanks ranging in sizes up to 125g
59 Posts
I know most sites and breeders suggest cooler temperatures for Neocaridina, but mine thrive in all my tanks that range in temp. from 79-84. Cherry shrimp don't lay eggs, they carry them until the young hatch so it's possible your guppies are eating the young, but you should still see some surviving if you have enough cover. Even though all my tanks are Pleco breeding setups, all have dither fish (guppies, tetras, rasboras) and it doesn't seem to slow mine down at all.

Although Cherry's are some of the easiest to keep, shrimp are sensitive to swings in water quality, especially nitrites. The smaller the tank, the bigger the swings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am no professional, but have a bit of luck in your issue. I keep mine in a little fluvial chi - but with 2 small sponge filters rather than the chi's set up. I grow live plants in the middle, with an overhead aquarium led light for the plants. I have some small moss ball, and driftwood for their playtime.
Neighbors inside with them are 2 ember tetra, 2 cardinal tetra, one Otto, and a bunch of assassin's that I routinely separate out and sell to my local shop ( they breed as maddeningly as the shrimp).

Anyway, I have never had trouble getting the Cherry's to breed, molt, eat, etc. I keep temp about 77, and water used is some simple spring water from the bottle ( use gal jugs bought at the grocery store). I use this for the water because Cherry's need calcium, and the plants need the iron. I also add a fert tablet under the substrate twice a year.

I so partial water changes every week, on the weekends. I also recently added 2 very small baby killi clown fish, and there have still been no disruption to the shimp.

I would guess it's my diligence in keeping spring water as their water source, but I dunno. I've had this set up for over 2 years now, with not one prob. The shrimp get quite numerous, to the point I can so with them what I intended: use as live feeders fory bigger checkerboard cichlid/angelfish tank.

Gluck.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had 5 assassin snails they all died at once, was a strange thing :S i am starting to wonder if maybe i don't have enough cover from what everyone is saying so im going to order in some move Java Fern and Moss as i am watching the guppies go in and out of the plants so many it is not dense enough and they are getting the babys :S

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have quite a bit of a toadbits floating on the top. So many I have to constantly yank a lot of the babies to keep the plants below receiving the needed light. I mention this not only due to the obvious nitrate benefits, but because my cherries absolutely LOVE hanging from the roots.

·
Registered
bettas galore!!!
66 Posts
A lot of shrimp die within the month you purchase them due to poor care from stores and poor water quality. make sure your water has plenty of oxygen, and the tank has shelter. and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toadbits what are they :D google is not much help :)

That does make sense, the shrimp are from a store but my guppy s and mystery snails are from a private seller and they are doing amazing :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
toadbits what are they :D google is not much help :)

That does make sense, the shrimp are from a store but my guppy s and mystery snails are from a private seller and they are doing amazing :D
Toadbits are a floating plant like tiny water Lillies. They are great for nitrate control, and water balance. They have kind of long (1/2 " long) roots that hang under the surface, and the shrimp love em.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts