Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching Cherry Barbs and Flame Tetras and am torn on which to get for my 40 gallon breeder. Which would work better in this tank?

Tank info:
40 gallon breeder
7.4 ph, 10 dgh, 75 degrees. 2 filters with adjustable currents, weekly water changes, established for years already.
Current stocking
7 Harlequin Rasbora
7 Cory Cats
1 Bolivian Ram
1 longfin albino Bristlenose
2 Honey Gourami
4 Amano Shrimp
4 Mystery Snails
2 Platy
So I won't be overstocked I'm waiting till some of the very elderly mystery snails pass of old age, and will remove the platies before getting the new school.

If possible I want the new fish not to have much yellow, as there's already alot of yellow in my tank. I've also got lots of bottom dwellers, and am wondering if the Cherry Barbs will make the bottom too crowded or of they'll swim more in the middle. For the Flame Tetras, are their body shapes different enough from the Harlequins to stand out? Another thing that's giving me pause with the Cherry Barbs is that the males are a little more pushy with females than I'd want in this tank. This is a huge pet peeve of mine, so I'd rather get all male Cherry Barbs. I'd rather not get Cherry Barbsor at all then get a mixed sex school. I'm willing to lose some of the brilliance of the male's mating colors for that purpose, but I am concerned that keeping them that way would be unnatural for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally have kept cherry barbs before in the past and overall they are a pretty relaxed fish. They usually maintain a nice cherry red color even when they are not mating. Your tank conditions looks fine for keeping them. Just make sure they have some plants to hang out around. As far as where they swim in the tank, it usually can be pretty mixed. Most cherry barbs like to hang out in the middle depending on the size of the tank. However, I have also noticed that my cherry barbs like to hang around the bottom of the tank with my pleco once in a while. I hope this info is helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts