Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a couple of caves to my 90gal, what do you think (sorry so blurry - camera phone):

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I bought, boiled and smashed the slate all by myself :wink:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kinda, they arent glued/siliconed together but are just held in place by rocks basically.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Very nice.:welldone:

:thankyou: for sharing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am planning on adding 4 danios this weekend (currently in QT) and then 4-5 rams in a week or two, so the caves are to give them a hiding place until they get settled in...the rams could also potentially spawn in them although I think they prefer to spawn in open water. the caves are pretty small, maybe 1.5-2" high and 4" wide/deep. I may have to redo them if they are not large enough. we will see.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
I am planning on adding 4 danios this weekend (currently in QT) and then 4-5 rams in a week or two, so the caves are to give them a hiding place until they get settled in...the rams could also potentially spawn in them although I think they prefer to spawn in open water. the caves are pretty small, maybe 1.5-2" high and 4" wide/deep. I may have to redo them if they are not large enough. we will see.
Rams will not spawn in caves.:) Try red rocks and slates. They are open water brooders. Your apistos probably will spawn inside them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looks great!

Are you concerned about waste accumulating in there? Or are you just going to excavate them occasionally for cleaning? I'm asking because I've never had caves that are buried in the substrate like that, only ones that rest on top.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JouteiMike said:
Looks great!

Are you concerned about waste accumulating in there? Or are you just going to excavate them occasionally for cleaning? I'm asking because I've never had caves that are buried in the substrate like that, only ones that rest on top.
not sure yet, we will just have to wait and see what happens!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hehe just noticed you can see my lil clown pleco on the leaf above the cave in the 2nd pic....i love that lil guy he's so cute!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts