Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Which one do you prefer?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm driven by my curiosity as to which fish you prefer and why.:mrgreen:

Cardinals maybe. I have problems with the neon lot.:blink: Due to mass production and inbreeding, I'm driven to an extent that I will refuse to buy any more neons. 'Tis always advisable to quarantine these fish before introducing them to your tank to prevent the risk of Neon Tetra Disease(NTD) caused by Plistophora.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Well Blue, Cardinals are bigger, heartier, and more colorful. At least the red goes clear back to the tail. Neons fade and die much to easily for me and I can usually keep the frailest of fish. Cardinals have my vote.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poll added. I voted for cardinals due to the problems with neons. To be honest, neons are more troublesome than the rummies.:redmad: :frustrated: They may not die during transport which rummies are often known for but their susceptibility to NTD even though it rarely occurs drives fear in myself not to introduce them anymore in my tank. Maybe I'd rather get a new tank and keep neons by themselves.:dunno: They're a bit irresistible to me.:checkedout: :shake:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Even though i only keep neons, i love the cardinals......

cardinals have got my vote.... :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Argh!! I'm so stupid for being late to get more cardinals.:frustrated: Ended up only 4.:sob: Why is it I'm always late for batches of tetras?:shake:

I'm late for red phantoms and got 11 as the last batch..
I'm late for black neons and got only 1.
I'm late for flame tetras and got only 1.

And now the cardinals? I don't believe this.:frustrated: :blink:

·
Registered
765 Posts
xingumike said:
Cards all the way, neons are for girls :p
HEY!! i own neons! just a few though, but i really like the cardinals but i only own neons because of how expensive cardinals are....:Doh:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know..for one thing..I was amazed at how the cardinals adapted too fast in my tank.:shock2: I still have some more tetras to get.:mrgreen: :crazy:

I'm rehoming my remaining three young angels in a new tank so they will stop harassing any new fish.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kateyoup said:
Hey.. you looking for a fight?? :p
That's the problem with some of us.:blueshake:

:wink2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
kateyoup said:
Hey.. you looking for a fight?? :p
LOL jkjk :)

@ Flam how much more than neons are cards in aus then? hardly any difference here which is why im amazed that people ever choose neons

·
Registered
765 Posts
well here, you can get 10 neons for $15 and cardinals are $7 each! :shock2:

·
Registered
415 Posts
flatcam1 said:
well here, you can get 10 neons for $15 and cardinals are $7 each! :shock2:
:shock2: indeed!!!

thats scandalous, if i lived in oz id go salty and catch em myself!!

If thats the case then i dont blame ya for choosing neons Flamalam

·
Registered
114 Posts
Def cardinals as they are awesome in colour when fully grown..

Note to Blue.
I used to have problems with neons all the time until I changed my supplier 2 years ago and since then I take in 100-200 every week and I haven't lost 1 to NTD..
There are good supplies of neons out there it is just a matter of sourcing them.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xingumike said:
:shock2: indeed!!!

thats scandalous, if i lived in oz id go salty and catch em myself!!

If thats the case then i dont blame ya for choosing neons Flamalam
:shock2: Prices are indeed outrageous, not scandalous:)tongue: ).:shock2:
I'd rather go fish-watching on lfs.:blink:

See here. For Pete's sake, neons cost 25 pesos each and cardinals are 75 pesos each.:blink:

Derek-M said:
Note to Blue.
I used to have problems with neons all the time until I changed my supplier 2 years ago and since then I take in 100-200 every week and I haven't lost 1 to NTD..
There are good supplies of neons out there it is just a matter of sourcing them.
Thanks, Derek. Might have to ask my friend where he got those neons.:)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah, neons are like a third of the cost of cards. Cardinals are a little bit prettier, but not 200% prettier, and even if I lose half the neons I get to disease (and I am running about 20% losses to date), I'd still say they're the better fish for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess I prefer the neons because they are smaller, I love the blue-green color, and they are such a classic fish. Cardinals seem to very popular right now, and because of that neons actually seem 'different', if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I stick with neons personally. Cardinals arent easily found around here and cost almost 4 times as much as neons. Maybe I've gotten lucky in terms of disease but I havent lost a neon to sickness in quite a while...also could be that I spend more than a half an hour inspecting almost everything in the tanks at the lfs before actually buying anything. If anything in that tank looks like it has even a trace of disease I won't be buying anything and the people that work at the smaller local shops (who see me rather regularly) know it lol. I'd like to think that keeps them more inclined to keep healthier fish knowing they can't sell anything to me that is even living with another sick fish.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts