Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Still relatively new to fish keeping, having just started with a 29-gallon tank 6 months ago. Due to the family's strong interest in the hobby we purchased a 75-gallon tank 2 months ago. Our plan is to eventually transfer all existing fish into the larger tank. Using ammonia we cycled the tank, and Friday evening, 07 JAN 22, Ammonia and Nitrite both read 0. Nitrate was at 40. PH at 7.8. We performed a water change that evening, and the next day went to purchase several "sacrifish" for the new tank.

We got 7 cardinal tetras who seemed to be in good shape in the store. Acclimated them in the bag, not drip, put them in and everything seemed fine. This morning noticed they all have what I assume to be Ich spots on them. Some have just 1 others have 4 or 5. I am planning on turning on the temperature to 80, currently at 74.5, going to town today to get Ich-X, and garlic for appetite.

The problems are as follows, we live a very rural area, the nearest pet store in an hour away. Our well water is not ok for fish, so we have to buy it in 5-gallon jugs. We have a very large piece of spiderwood as the main decoration, which we boiled but since has become completely covered in white/brown/translucent slime. Could this fungus be somewhat responsible, I thought it was fine. Lastly, and least important we would rather not stain everything in our new tank green.

I Suppose we are looking for any suggestions, or words of warning anybody may have for us in this situation. Due to water change difficulties for us we were considering purchasing a 10 gallon treatment tank for treatment, just a thought. Either way thank you for your time and assistance.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
430 Posts
First off, I think the fish came with the disease. I would just use some fish medicine or marine/aquarium salt, you can buy it from amazon and nearly any pet store, it often will kill bacteria/ ich or other diseases quickly but the medicine is usually better. Warning: Table salt or any other salts won't work and contain harmful minerals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We moved the fish into a 10-gallon tank; several fake plants, a rock cave, and pieces of filter from the 29-gallon tank; acclimated using the drip method over 4 hours this time., I turned up the heat to 80 over a period of 12 hours. Also added slightly less than the recommended amount of aquarium salt. Did not add medicine thinking that that would be too much stress at once. 3 of them are dead and a further 2 are not looking very promising. The issue with buying anything off of amazon is the earliest delivery is anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks usually. The advantages of a rural area again.

I turned the now empty tank up to 95 degrees and have not added salt or medicine to it. When would it be clear to reintroduce another batch of fish to it? Any thoughts on keeping the remaining tetras alive, or what I could/should have done differently? Being a schooling fish will having only 2 or 3 remaining just kill the rest anyway?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts