Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about getting a canister filter for my 29gal freshwater tank. right now I have two HOBs I have fairly heavy bio load thanks to my common pleco. I know I should not have a pleco in a tank this size but I didn't know that 18 years ago when I got this aquarium and a pleco. what would be a decent canister for my tank?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum (even though you joined 2 years ago)

I really like my sunsun canisters. They are the best bang for the buck IME. you can get them for less on amazon - just don't waste money on the models with UV.

·
Registered
156 Posts
thinking about getting a canister filter for my 29gal freshwater tank. right now I have two HOBs I have fairly heavy bio load thanks to my common pleco. I know I should not have a pleco in a tank this size but I didn't know that 18 years ago when I got this aquarium and a pleco. what would be a decent canister for my tank?

There are a lot of good canisters out there. It depends a lot on what you want to spend. Eheim, Fluval are fairly expensive. SunSun (sold as aquatop also), Api , PennPlax have got good reviews and are less expensive. I talso depends on the expectations you have for the use of a canister. I had two HOB filters on the tank (Penguin 200 and Aquaclear 50 on my lightly stocked 29G - 6 platies and one long fin red minor tetra (read serape tetra) . I wasn't pleased with the condition of the tank and the output of the filters allowed a build up of what looked like poop so nitrates built up because the water was exiting over the poop like material.

I personally have a fluval 206. I think it is great. I had no installation problems except those I brought on by carelessness on my part. It is simple to clean and restart after cleaning. It has kept the tank sparkling. I have not had any other canister so cannot comment on any other brand.

Reactions: Ken
1 - 3 of 3 Posts