Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I recently bought a 40 gallon aquarium that I intend to set up as a rocky-lake cichlid habitat. I was wondering if anyone had any methods for me to test whether or not a wooden desk I own would withstand the weight. Any ideas??

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
And I think that pretty much answers your question. Would you be comfortable having two 250lb men stand on your desk 24/7?

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could stack 9 or so bags of horse feed on the desk LOL! But I'm gonna guess not everyone has those on hand ;-)

·
Registered
301 Posts
My advice to you would be... if you're asking the question to start with it's probably b/c you're not sure... and if you're not sure then I would say that you're probably better off not doing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
um, yeah as i'm a carpenter. i would strongly suggest that you don't put that kind of weight upon your desk(unless you feel the need of flooding your office as it all comes down). they are not designed for holding that kind of weight. you can most likely find a stand for a 45g tank fairly cheap.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Petco sells decent stands, but making your own usually is cheaper, if you have the tools and know what you are doing that is...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL. Thanks guys... I guess I was asking that question because I was hoping that my assumption (desk breaking and my room flooding like a noah's arc movie) would be disproven. I am not going to risk it (especially seeing that I not only wanted to fill the tank but I wanted to make it a cichlid rocky lake tank).

Anyone got any ideas regarding what type of stand I should get?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I can help you with nice looking DYI Oak stand...but not buying :| (I pers don't like the press board stuff and its pricing to it).
Just make sure its gonna be min the exact size of your tank, ideally have it stick over the tanks size 2" each side. If you go to any given Pet store the stands you'll find there (if you get the size you need provided) will hold your tank, the rest is matter of price, style and pers preference :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'll be the lone one to say the desk may be able to hold it. BUT, I haven't seen the desk. One of the earlier post was correct that you could have a couple of adults sit on the desk to prove it can hold the weight. You'd be surprised how strong wood is. Did you post a picture of the desk and I missed it?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I'll be the lone one to say the desk may be able to hold it. BUT, I haven't seen the desk. One of the earlier post was correct that you could have a couple of adults sit on the desk to prove it can hold the weight. You'd be surprised how strong wood is. Did you post a picture of the desk and I missed it?
Good point, post a picture!
Example my desk is custom build 8 ft by 30" desk....this thing is built (thanks to hubby) in a way it will easily house a 55g and my computer stuff:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts