Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Can I bury a stock tank?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I want to put some guppies outside but it's still cold out. I'm hoping if I bury a stock tank like this one https://www.ntotank.com/100gallon-acerotomold-green-stock-tank-x9817392 that the earth's core temp will keep the water at least 50 degrees. Does that sound right? What if I put a piece of clear plastic over it to make a mini green house?

You can but it will likely still get to cold for guppies. I've tried them outside in a six foot deep pond without success and this was in the central valley of California that seldom ever sees any thing below 32F and then only for a few hours or a day.
Oh, almost forgot I don't think your stock tank is deep enough if the ambient temp in your area drops below 50 F. You would be better off putting the tank in your garage near the house wall for warmth and maybe even then add a heater. You wont know untill you monitor the temp for a winter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.