Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 6 guppies (2 males and 4 females) and 2 mystery snails from my local petsmart last Friday(2-8-13) and put them in my 10 gallon tank. They all seem happy and healthy but by the next morning ALL six guppies were DIED!!!!:-( My two snails still seem fine tho. I tested the water and the only thing I found was the water was to hard. Could this be what killed them????

p.s. There was no other fish in my 10 gallon when I put them all in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cycled the water for a week before I add the fish and snails. I tested the water and
Everything was fine but my water was very hard. The temp was always around 80 to 82 degrees. So I was told to add a little aquarium salt to soften the water. I did that two days ago and tested the water, everything still seems to be in the safe zone and the water is know only hard and not very hard like before. I want to get more guppies but I don't know if they will be ok?

·
Registered
178 Posts
So, if I am reading this right, you set up the tank and allowed it to set empty for a week then added six guppies and two snails. The tank is 10 gallons. What, if anything, did you *do* to the tank during the week it was setting? Were you attempting a fishless cycle using manually added ammonia or did you literally just allow the tank to set and run (filter, light, heater) but not *do* anything to it during that time before you added the fish?
Why was your temperature so high? How did you "soften" your water? Are you familiar (ie have you read the articles here) with the process of cycling an aquarium?
Honestly, from how I am reading what you have said so far you did not actually "cycle" the tank. You then added a pretty heavy bio-load. The results that you experienced are pretty much what I would expect for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was thinking the same thing once you said let it run for a week. Most people confuse the notion of cycling a tank with cleaning the water it's far from the truth. You need ammonia in the tank to start the cycle. You need to do some more research and figure out what kind of cycle you would like to do, in example fishless cycle where you use chemicals. Getting an aquarium to establish itself isn't as easy as most people think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts