Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten gallon tank with one Marigold Wag Swordtail, one Hifin Platy, and two Green Lantern platys. Algae is growing all over the glass, so I want an algae eater. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a little shoal of Otocinclus (Oto Catfish). They do a pretty good job, but they are a little "moody". What I mean by that is they don't seem to be happy unless there are at least four of them. Also they are a little sensitive to water conditions.

Is your tank planted? That will help decide if your tank can handle the extra fish.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi
snails usually breed a lot when there is a tonne of food left over
from the fish,you can remove them by hand,which although a pain,
can be done,or even place a lettuce leaf in the tank and as it gets covered
in snails,remove the leaf and squish the snails…..failing that,another tank with
some puffer fish. :-D they'll love the snails.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would rather not deal with snails then. My friend's son just got a snail for his glofish tank, so I will ask them if they have any invasions later on. My Hifin Platy seems to enjoy snacking on algae at night. I tend to catch him pecking at the gravel, and on a few occasions, the heater. I wish he would peck at the glass...

·
Registered
645 Posts
nerites need both male and female plus brackish water to produce.they are not like most snails. they will leave eggs around if you have a well fed female.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nerite Snails require brackish (salty) water to reproduce. You need about one per gallon and they tend to be expensive.

Mystery Snails (Apple Snaills) reproduce above the waterline. They are large, but do a very poor job on algae.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails do not eat algae.

Regular pond snails do a great job on algae, especially in an unplanted tank.

People who complain of snail overpopulation have a different problem that the snails are keeping them from experiencing... usually overfeeding. Instead of killing all your fish, you just have a lot of snails.

Algae eating fish are not going to work in a 10 gallon. You already have some... they are called Platies. Hard algae you have to scrape off with a razorblade. Soft stuff you can remove with the little magnetic wiper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh... good catch. No, I am twelve kinds of wrong there... I had Amano Shrimp on the brain.

I don't remember the exact for Nerites, and don't want to be wrong twice in one thread. Someone will google it. I don't have any myself... soft, acidic Atlanta water dissolves their shells quickly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh... good catch. No, I am twelve kinds of wrong there... I had Amano Shrimp on the brain.

I don't remember the exact for Nerites, and don't want to be wrong twice in one thread. Someone will google it. I don't have any myself... soft, acidic Atlanta water dissolves their shells quickly.
Ah ok, well the 1 per g for shrimp is useful for me anyway since i'm looking at getting some shrimp in a couple weeks too. :-D

I did some googling and one aquatic supply store mentioned 1 nerite for every 2.5 gallons.

·
Registered
729 Posts
for bits i've come across, ...

nothing beats the nerite snail for freshwater algae control
... but it's a snail and people don't like that.
... like the amano shrimp coming up behind it

these both require brackish water to reproduce

most talked about algae control methods are fish, and those fish start with the siamese algae eater, ... definitely not something recommended for small tanks

the nerite snail is a great option to have.

as was mentioned about shells dissolving
pH 7.0-7.5 recommended

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a ten gallon tank with one Marigold Wag Swordtail, one Hifin Platy, and two Green Lantern platys. Algae is growing all over the glass, so I want an algae eater. Any suggestions?
How is your tank lit? Algae require a good amount of light to grow.

Also what is your fish feeding routine? Excess food will add to the Nitrate levels in the tank giving the algae nourishing food.

·
Registered
645 Posts
if you do not want to add snails or shrimp,an upflow algae scrubber would take care of the problem also.they are easy to make.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The stocking is a little heavy to add more, but I think if you add some fast growing beginner plants you would be fine for a school of otos:) they are really great. Also, I would say that 10 hours of light is a bit longer than reccomended. If you could cut it down a little bit this would help. Amanos shrimp are also fabulous algae eaters, but they focus on the gravel and plant leaves/ decor. I don't think they will clean the glass very well. Otos are much better suited to this job. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would you say I am overstocked? Because I was thinking about getting another swordtail. My poor speedy is a bit lonely, and platys don't amuse him much.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nerites are great they eat tons of algae and they are at petsmart for $1.99 (at least where I am) and I haven't managed to kill any so they must be relatively hardy. They eat tons of algae. I had one in my 50g tank and he made a fairly good dent even. And they do not reproduce, sadly. They do need salt water for the eggs to hatch. However, the females can lay unsightly eggs. For some reason mine have been nice and not laid any on the glass.

Otos seem to be finicky. When I tried them in the past I failed to get any to survive for over a week.

·
Registered
645 Posts
too many other fish in the tank for a school of otos. otos are wild usually wild caught. by the time they get to the store,they have been through a lot. the bacteria in their gut has been compromised.they use this bacteria to break down algae. after that they do not live very long. they are considered sensitive fish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts