Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I struck my own curiosity with another post I created earlier.

I LOVE fancy goldfish and I really like White Cloud Mountain Minnows and Danios of many sorts.

Instead of getting 2 fancies, is there a possibility of having a tank with a school of danios or minnows and 1 fancy goldfish? Would the Goldfish eat the smaller ones? If I got a young Goldy and older Minnows/Danios, would that be better so the smaller ones could get larger while the Goldfish was still smaller? If I were to provide the smaller fish hiding spots only they could fit into, would that help their chances? Would the smaller fish actually bully the Goldfish?

I feel this would be really cool to do.

I have a 29g and an Aqueon 55/75 filter, but I can switch filters if necessary. I have a heater which will be set to low just to maintain at least 65 as the tank is downstairs and it gets pretty cold down there sometimes. I want to make my own goldfish food too, and I've got some recipes. The Goldy would be slower, I'm guessing, than the smaller fish, so I guess spot feeding is what I would do.

I need to know!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The goldfish will definitely try to eat the Minnows and Danios once its mouth is big enough, generally they aren't predators but with just about any fish the rule of thumb is if it fits in its mouth, itll become food, but giving them a place to hide will increase their chance of survival, one problem with the Danios is they are tropical fish and require a higher temperature than 65, they need about 75-84 degrees.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts