Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find after research and was wondering if any of you could help.

My first question is: how effective is increasing salinity in killing bacteria? I am wondering if bacteria will perish in a similar way to parasites when exposed to a salinity they are not adapted to. I guess it would make sense that they would shrivel up if they were in freshwater previously and then exposed to a higher salinity, but I am unsure if the bacteria that typically causes fin degredation would have this reaction or if they can tolerate a wide range of salinities.

My second question is about dosing sodium chloride as a therapeutic agent or as a treatment for disease. I have looked at various websites which recommend either 1 TSP/gal for a therapeutic dose or 1 TBSP/5 gal. I have looked at a few studies with have seen results in keeping their fish parasite free at concentrations of 5ppt for bettas (which is what I am treating). When trying to calculate what the salinity would be if you used 1 TSP salt per gallon, I ran into weird numbers and would like to know if this makes sense, or if I am doing the math wrong.

1 TSP of salt = 5687.5 mg of salt
5687.5mg/3.78L (1 gallon) = 1504.6mg/L (1504.6 ppm)
1504.6 ppm = 1504600000 ppt
Is this correct? If so this is insanely high and I am so confused why that would be recommended as a therapeutic dose. Am I missing some conversion? Is the number this high because I am using the dry weight of salt?
When trying to reverse the math to get 5ppt, the measurement is so small for the amount of salt to use that I don't think it is possible to do! If I just messed up on some small piece of this that I am overlooking I apologize in advance.
Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts