Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
There are a lot of DIY "recipes" online.
Big eaters? Those tabs (Seachem product anyway) last 3 months due to them dissolving at that rate. Of course if your tank is full and you are just plain using that many every 3 months....

BTW, this begs for a picture as you don't have one in your tank profile.... I'd love to see these hungry plants.

I just realized that you said Anubias. Those aren't substrate rooted and won't benefit from tabs at all. Perhaps you are just overusing them. One tab for about a 4-6" diameter area should suffice.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The Anubias have put roots into the substrate!!
Perhaps, but they would do just as well with those roots attached to a rock or piece of wood or even floating as they are not substrate feeders even if the roots are in the substrate. Tabs are wasted on them.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The tank is a 125, small diameter gravel. High light, 312watts T-5 HO 6500K PAR is 100 at substrate. Pressurized co2, diffused through 3 powerheads, both ends, and one in the middle. Fertilizing with GLA pro ferts. Every other day Lights are on for 6hrs. per day. I use the root tabs on the Swords, and anubias. I was under the impression that the Anubias feed through the roots once the grew into the substrate, as well as through the leaves. The Swords seem to use the tabs up fairly quick. I can tell when another tab is needed, as the Sword starts to lose some of the darkness in the leaves, and new leaves slow down on growth. You learn something new everday. The tank has only been planted a few months. It was previously an African Cichlid tank. It is improving as time goes on. Guess if I can buy the tabs in a 40 count pack, that wouldn't be to bad!! Thanks for all the help, and input. I appreciate it.:)
Any particular reason why you decided to go with such a high energy setup? ... Not that you need to justify it I was just curious. I chose low sort of by default but would do so again due to the slower pace and easier maintenance... and lower up front and operating costs.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Actually all I had to buy was the lights. I had the co2 tank, and an old regulator from the welding shop. I made a splitter for the reg. and added a solenoid. I was trying the lower light setup, and having a terrible time with BBA, and Staghorn. After talking to a woman who is a planted tank expert, she suggested trying a higher light setup, and co2, with a fert dosing regimen. After only a few weeks of following her instructions with the high tech setup, the algae has become very minor in the tank. Guess I never intended to have this type set up in the beginning. But it seems to be working, so I just went with it.:lol:
Go with what works.

Jeff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts