Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a bottle of Red Sea Calcium that I was using on my 46, and I have been using that to raise my calcium. I am going to use the B-Ionic as maintenence, when my levels are relatively in check. My aquarium seems to consume calcium at a fast rate, I'll see it drop over 20 ppm in a day sometimes! Right now the livestock is the same as I had in my 46 gallon, and I used to maintain calcium once a week. Now I am dosing every day, in order to keep the calcium over 400 ppm.

I believe the new coralline growth has also been eating up a large amount of calcium per day. I expect this to start to level out in a few weeks. At least I hope so, I am going on my honeymoon for two weeks in September!!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tested last night and everything is good. Nitrates are at 5 ppm, but I think that's because my sandbed isn't established yet. Calcium was 390, and dKH was 9.0, so I dosed with the B-Ionic two part. pH was 8.3 and sg was 1.025. I didn't test for trites or ammonia, I don't see a reason to after the tank is established (unless something is going wrong:-?)

My RBTA:
fish60.JPG

Too bad my clowns LOVE to host my Frogspawn:
fish70.JPG

GSP's and some zoas my LFS just gave me:
fish80.JPG

I finally finished the stand and I am going to post pics of that when I get home!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
be careful putting GSP on rock esp when its close to the light as it will spread quick and be hard to get it off the rocks when you want to.
for this reason i have mine in the sand bed isolated but even then its growing out onto the glass as well as some rocks.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mark, I have had this frogspawn for a year now. He has doubled in size, as well as sprouting two new heads. I feed him and other corals in my tank with reef nutrition oyster feast, every other to every third day. My clowns also host my alveopora, but it doesn't seem to appreciate the company as much.

Jon, I feed the nem at least once a week (it is more like when I see the mouth kind of "mushroom" I thow a chunk of food in, it ends up being like once or twice a week). I feed him based on what my LFS has, right now it's krill, because I ran out of silversides, and so he ran out too. I like to switch between krill and silversides.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Last week I added a few pounds of base rock. I it had sitting in a tub of distilled water with a powerhead running.

Anyway, I was as careful as possible to make sure that I wasn't toppling rocks, or creating sandstorms, or anything like that. The next day my nem looked he just had a big meal, and my mandarin was nowhere to be found. (The fiance named him Fez, and was very attached to him) I have had him for about four months.

A week goes by and I am convinced that either I squished him, or my anemone ate him. I was upset.:cry:

Last night,, I'm downstairs when the sump light comes on and I stick my head down there to see if my algae's growing. I see a little sploch of color swimming around the sump, and low and behold, the Mandarin! :-D He somehow made the trip over he baffle and down the pipes! He survived and didn't get sucked up the return pump. I snatched him out of the sump and plopped him back in the Display! I was so excited, I woke up the fiance to tell her he was alive (she wasn't too appreciative at 11:30...oh well).

I am glad he made it. He is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I can't believe it's been four months since I have posted about my tank. I have no new pics of the tank as I hate taking pictures with my cell phone camera, and one of my nieces/nephews broke my camera.

I have a good amount of coraline growth on the glass and base rock I have added. Glass and overflow baffles are covered. There is only one piece of Base Rock that doesn't look like established rock, but it is starting to get a purple tint to it.

I added a HK4 to blow across the bottom of the tank, and I have a HK3 and HK2 that have already been in the tank. Along with the MD12 I am running (I am getting rid of this pump, my friend has a Eheim Compact+ 5000 he is trading me for my 3000) I have about a 25X turnover rate. I'm happy with that.

I am currently using a 20 gallon tall as my sump, but I kind of messed up the design and the bubble trap isn't all that effective. Because I am limited as to what I can fit through the doors, I had to build my new sump out of a 29 gallon tank (I traded my LFS an old overflow box I wasn't using). I added eggcrate and in the inlet section I used eggcrate to make a stand-off for the skimmer I am buying, the Marineland In-Sump 300 Skimmer. It has a height restriction as the operating level is 11.5", and the new sump will operate at 13". I put a 2.5" stand-off in.

Sump:
sump.JPG

Pics of the tank will follow, I am going to borrow ma dukes' camera...:)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I took a few pics last night with the cell phone camera...quality definitely leaves something to be desired...

I do regular Water Changes, as in 10% a week (sometimes I will skip a week), and regularly test and dose for Alk and Calcium. As a result, coraline growth was steady.

FTS:
tank.JPG

The Clowns and Nem:
tank1.JPG

The Tang:
tang.JPG

The rest of the pics came out to dark to see. I tried to get a good shot of the Mandarin, but he stayed at the bottom of the tank, and the Lawnmower was nowhere to be found last night.

150 gallons and I have five small fish and one larger tang. I need to go shopping for a good specimen...maybe I'll get a gift certificate.:lol:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
The rest of the pics came out to dark to see. I tried to get a good shot of the Mandarin, but he stayed at the bottom of the tank, and the Lawnmower was nowhere to be found last night.

150 gallons and I have five small fish and one larger tang. I need to go shopping for a good specimen...maybe I'll get a gift certificate.:lol:
Hopefully when you get a better camera the Mandarin will make a showing, I'd love to see him.
I hope you get a gift certificate too, have you dropped the hint to Santa? ;)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts