Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a guppy that has a fairly large brown fuzzy growth on his tail fin. The fin was previous richy colored orange/blue, but the area has bleached to white all around the growth. Looking closely, he seems to be bleaching in other parts of his body, and I believe there may be a slight indication he may be turning a bit brownish over his head as well, although hard to say since he's now in treatment tank with green water. He's extremely active and I can't get a photo of him as he is just a blur. I googled for an hour, I can't find anything that starts as brownish fuzz. Can anyone think of what he could have? I think he may have been bleaching out over the past couple of months, but I thought it was just his color developing, but now I see it's a sickness. I'd like to know what it is so I can customize the treatment, he's currently in the sick tank with kanaplex, furan-2, and salt. Maybe I am crazy, but the brown spot looks less raised already since going into the treatment tank about 10 hours ago.

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) - 15 or 20, I forget
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? - freshwater, but with Replenish and coral rock
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? over a year
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) - all guppies, too many, have to give them away periodically

5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? yes, swords
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 80
7. What make/model filter are you using? rapids minicanister, low flow, with carbon, bio tubes, floss
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? - No
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? yes, evening
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? I do a 1/3 to 1/2 water change every week or two, including a gravel vac
, last time was about 5 days ago
11. How often do you perform water changes? week or two, depends on if it's got a lot of green algae or not
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? autofeeder, 4 days a week, minimal amounts 3x a day of Marineland flake, 3 days a week, hand fed 1x a day of hikari fancy guppy minipellets
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? cfl, low wattage, on 12 hours a day
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? brown fuzzy spot and bleaching on 1 fish15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. no idea, don't test, have coral rock in tank, supplement with replenish and stability, treat with prime, hard water
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? none
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? over 6 months ago, this is not a new fish, he was born here

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, on palpating, it was actually a very hard knot, so.. I cut it off, with scissors. He didn't even act like he felt it, I think all of the white/bleached part of the tail is dead. Hopefully he'll recover now that the mystery tumor is removed. I doubt it, but hopefully. He's on his second round of Kanaplex/Furan-2 now after "home surgery".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the update??
He spent 3 more days in the antibiotic tank, and now he's back in the community tank looking happy but I still am not sure he's eating. He "eats" the food, but instead of swallowing it, he seems to just spit it back out. I'm going with the he's no longer contagious, so let him die happy method. He's not an old fish, he's less than 10 months old. I'm not sure what else I can do, but wait and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts