Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I tried to post a picture of it, but I have this awful looking brown stuff all over my tank. I thought it was harmless brown algae for a long time, but it's been growing a lot recebtly and I'm trying to figure out what it is so I can marenove it effectively. This tank has been murky since its previous owner, and it's been set up for multiple years in my home. It's a 20gal long, with various corys and mystery snails. I change 25% once every one or two weeks, and feed sinking pellets every night. It's filtered and has a heater, as well as normal LED lights.

Anything will help! Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the tank may need a heavy cleanout. 75% water change, gravel vacuuming, filter change, and fresh chemicals
I understand the 75% water change and fresh chemicals, but wouldn't changing the filter media lose the beneficial bacteria in the tank? I just cleaned the sand a few weeks ago, it didn't help much

·
Registered
27 Posts
There may be a build-up of gunk on the filter and it is no longer cleaning as well as it could. If you do the cleanout incremental you won't lose all Beneficial bacteria. The bacteria grows everywhere, (wood, rocks, glass) there will be enough left to recolonise
I understand the 75% water change and fresh chemicals, but wouldn't changing the filter media lose the beneficial bacteria in the tank? I just cleaned the sand a few weeks ago, it didn't help much

1 - 4 of 4 Posts