Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Please could somebody advise me on the success I would get for using bristlenoses to remove algae? Or is it a sales pitch from the pet shop that these are the fishkeepers answer to algae control? Thanks

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Yes, BN plecos eat algae. However, they do not eat all types of algae. In a small tank, a nerite snail or two is a better choice. That being said, some forms of algae you will have to take care of yourself. It is not a good idea to get a fish in order to take care of a problem. Get a BN because you want one, not because you have algae to get rid of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jaysee. Yeah I wouldn't buy one purely for the algae control I was curious as the guys at the local pet store seem to try sell you these plecs when algae gets mentioned. I'm running a Juwel 180 with twin lights, since I trimmed all my live plants down I think I'm getting too much light to the bottom of the tank as strands of algae is growing on the odd decorations I have in there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Jaysee. Yeah I wouldn't buy one purely for the algae control I was curious as the guys at the local pet store seem to try sell you these plecs when algae gets mentioned. I'm running a Juwel 180 with twin lights, since I trimmed all my live plants down I think I'm getting too much light to the bottom of the tank as strands of algae is growing on the odd decorations I have in there.
By "strands" are you meaning algae that grows up and away from the surfaces in a string fashion?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By "strands" are you meaning algae that grows up and away from the surfaces in a string fashion?
Hello. Yeah some of the gravel has tuffs of black fur on and then there's long darkish hairs of algae that's appeared growing up from things.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hello. Yeah some of the gravel has tuffs of black fur on and then there's long darkish hairs of algae that's appeared growing up from things.
Black fur is black beard algae - Plecos won't touch it. I would just remove the gravel with the BBA growing on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black fur is black beard algae - Plecos won't touch it. I would just remove the gravel with the BBA growing on it.
Ive had a look at some google images of the black fur you mention and i think you're right. This looks just like the problem i have started having. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Ive had a look at some google images of the black fur you mention and i think you're right. This looks just like the problem i have started having. Thanks for the info.
It's REALLY hard to get off of things. I have it on some decor. I kinda like the look on structure pieces - gives it a more natural look in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's REALLY hard to get off of things. I have it on some decor. I kinda like the look on structure pieces - gives it a more natural look in my opinion.
This webistes turned out to be a good find, theres some usefull stuff on here. I'm going to leave the beard algae and see how it turns out. Ill try upload some photos when its overgrown lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts