Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two bristlenose pelco ( one is calico one and the other is an albino longfin one) without bristles. Now I know one is a female and one is a male since I recent found two litters of babies both at most a month or younger.( difference sizes of the babies is the tell for me).

So here the question which is the female and which the male?...bc if it is the albino, I would like to maybe breed with a known male albino that I have in another tank.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
That's very odd. Male bn's have bristles and the females do not. How big are yours? Can you post a pic of each please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Few bristles - female

Hi, I've been told the plecos with the fewer bristles are the female. If this is correct I currently have a female albino pleco. I just bought 3 more hoping I will get a pair. I'm curious... Are yours in a community tank and did you have a breeders cave. I'm so excited for you. I'm currently breeding Angelfish and have 3 breeding pairs so far and a little over 100 babies that I will be selling.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yes, that's true. Depending on their age, females will have very few bristles just around their mouth or no bristles. The males have prominent bristles that will extend from their snout up the middle of their head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are in a tank with other fish (a turquoise rainbow, a small school of blue tetras, another small school of neon tetra, a and flying fox). They have a big fake log decoration that they hid in. The long-finned albino stays out a lot and we can walk by the tank and she will stay out, we got her from a local aqua store. The calico one we got from a buddy and we seen its parents who have bristles. He's very shy and likes to lurk in his lair, which is why we think he's a male.
We were actually moving and left the tank behind for a while with the roommate promising to take care of it, turns out he didn't so the tank was in a bit of poor condition when we came back for it (very bad smelly water, cloudy from overfeeding and terrible ammonia/nitrate levels), and found the babies, so no real special thing we did for them to breed. Judging by what he said, he was feeding them once a week for a while before overfeeding them twice a day after we corrected him.

Here are some pics of the tank and them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: We found a third pelco in the tank...And it was a boy...He was hiding because he was taking care another litter of his. :p

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Ah, mystery solved!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts