Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
freshwater ttropical
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had any Bristle nose cats breeding? I cannot get any of mine to lay eggs. Tried many many different ideas and methods. Nothing works. Any advice would be good

·
Registered
freshwater ttropical
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What have you tried so far? Type of setup? Water parameters?
I have been told they are easy to spawn???? A simple 24 x 12 x 15inch tank. Different ranges of ph and temp. Planted and unplanted. Caves rocks and pipes. massive water changes with cycled or fresh water, also slightly cooler water has been tried. Added strong air stones. Using a well maintained filter. I have 7 adult bristle nose cats. I have 4, 3 year old +, 3 male 1 female, 3 are much younger and are at breeding size and purchased mid last year 1 male 2 female. I had no success with the older fish and tried all males with that female over time and my lfs said to try younger fish. Tried 2 females with the one male, then 1 female at a time over a period of many months. Conditioned fish with algae wafers, flakes and frozen foods also tried some other vegetable matter. No eggs or fry ever seen. I put them back in my 4 foot tank and set up the small tank again and now have over 100, 0.7 cm zebra danio fry to raise. Will try bristle nose again if i can get some more info on them. Waiting on some 18 inch tanks now for more breeding space. I have kept and bred tropical fish for over 30 years. Have looked online at videos and articles, tried many ideas. Please advise.

·
Administrator
7-10 tanks ranging in sizes up to 125g
60 Posts
Maybe stop trying and just ignore them? It's worked for me with some stubborn species.

But as far as BN are concerned, I've had them breed (unfortunately) in every tank I've owned for at least the past 20+ years. Everything from 6g up to 125g. Short fin, long fin, brown, albino, Super Red, Green Dragon ... Species only tanks to community tanks. Temps from mid 70s to 84. Substrate planted tanks to bare bottom with just slate and caves. Tanks with only 2 BN to tanks that are way over crowded. 2" males that are hardly showing bristles to 6" bearded beasts.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but there really is no easier pleco to breed. Just add some caves and leave them be.

·
Registered
freshwater ttropical
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe stop trying and just ignore them? It's worked for me with some stubborn species.

But as far as BN are concerned, I've had them breed (unfortunately) in every tank I've owned for at least the past 20+ years. Everything from 6g up to 125g. Short fin, long fin, brown, albino, Super Red, Green Dragon ... Species only tanks to community tanks. Temps from mid 70s to 84. Substrate planted tanks to bare bottom with just slate and caves. Tanks with only 2 BN to tanks that are way over crowded. 2" males that are hardly showing bristles to 6" bearded beasts.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but there really is no easier pleco to breed. Just add some caves and leave them be.
I will put some caves in my community tank with the BNs and wait. 3 year old ones will breed?

·
Administrator
60 Posts
Standard BN can start to breed by 6 months

·
Administrator
60 Posts
No, should be good for a while longer. For the most part I sell mine off within the first year, but a few tanks still have some that are 4+ years old and they're still breeding like crazy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts