Tropical Fish Keeping banner

breeding of parrot and midas?

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  blueblue48 
#1 ·
Hi dear friends

today I decided to see can my parrot and midas breeding together? I've seperated them with glass divider to preparing them for this process my male midas is around 23 cm
and my female parrot is around 25 cm
if they can breeding what can I do to preparing them :?:?
+picture of my homonculus midas and king parrot

See less See more
#4 ·
jojoyojimbi said:
wouldn't a better question be...

why would you want to?
I agree.:wink2: I simply won't encourage hybridizing pure strains of fish because they tend to decimate the stocks of pure strains. But it's a matter of personal choice unfortunately.:dunno:

Good luck with the breeding. By the way, hi and welcome aboard, Pouyan.:wave:

#6 ·
i'm gonna gave to go with blue and jojo on this one. theres just something wrong about hybrids and having a hybrid breed with another fish is even worse. makes the genetics even more messed up.

#7 ·
hi

THX dear Alexis-dprUsh83-jojoyojimbi&Blue
I knew that this action can decimate the genetic parts and chains and making some kind of abnormal things in defense sys of fish..cause I have alittle doubt that midas and parrot fish accept them..and i like to do this work for myself and see the baby of this hybring .

#12 ·
You sure your midas is a male? Do you have other pics of it? It looks like a female from the picture you posted.

Good luck with your project. I breed true midas for a few years until the market droped for them in my area. The only think id say is if you do get fry dont sell them or put them in circulation. Its not good for the hobby as a whole, Its a really good chance that your midas is a hybrid already because of years of projects like these for profit.

#17 ·
musho3210 said:
joeshmoe said:
i think hybrids are awsome
hybrids look nice, but they are suffering, parrot fish cant even close there mouth, imagine chewing with your throat, ouch, sure you can breed them if you like but no matter what dont sell or get rid of the hybrids.
i just say i think there awsome. some fish cant see some ,some fish are deformed,and some are hybrids. we cant just turn our heads and say get rid of em'.

#18 ·
Hybridizing of fish has gone on for centuries. The Japanese with the gold fish, Germans with the discus and the guppy(and other live bearers), the Giannis right here in the US with angels. However, these aquarists did so with a goal in mind, they also genetically engineered fish so that the fish that they ended up with bred true. If this is your goal, creating a hybrid species that breeds true, have at it. It will take a lot of work and perserverence. If you wish to breed two different species just to "see what I come up with", I would disdain from doing so. The parrot fish, I have been told is a sterile hybrid. Let us know if you have any luck.

#20 ·
I'm a little confused why people are against this, if he's going to keep them for his own use and not circulate them. Parrot fish are part midas, aren't they? I would think the offspring would end up looking like a less distinctive PF, which would have less issues. I may be totally off base here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think the fish would be closer to a pure midas, and have less genetic issues.

BTW, I'm pretty set against parrots, they seem like a pretty cruel invention to me, and I like fish that could actually survive in the wild, and aren't just ornamental. Hybrids are fine for personal experimentation, but I'd much rather breed for intelligence or hardiness, not looks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.