Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the platy fish I have rehomed looks pregnant. I have set up a separate tank as a breeder tank. Is she ok in there alone or should I add a friend? I am going to attempt to add a photo but am new to all this and really not very technologically capable lol

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
376 Posts
Congrats! It looks like she has recently become pregnant. I would say probably about 2-3 weeks she will have her babies. Sorry I have been busy and couldn't reply sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Am I correct in believing she is holding babies? And any clues as to how long it may be before she births?
A pregnant Platy will have a much larger belly with a dark gravid spot near the anal fin. From the pics she doesn't appear pregnant but if she is she'll carry the babies for 24-35 days. It's best not to house her with any other fish during this time. As they will eat the fry. The best thing you could do is purchase a special breeding tank that hangs inside of the tank and allows the fry to fall safely into the bottom as they're being born, where the mother cannot eat them. When she's done giving birth immediately remove her from this breeding tank and put her back in your original tank. Then you can allow the fry to grow in the separate tank until they're large enough to not be eaten. Make sure to only use a sponge filter in a tank with fry as a hang on back or larger will suck them up. I wish you the best with your fish.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
376 Posts
I have been breeding platies for a little while now and she kind of looked like she was carrying eggs. Looking back it might just be her scales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts