Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of brain coral is this? I was told it was caulastrea, but it doesn't look like it because of the closeness of the polyps. But I could be wrong. Favites? Or favia? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Looks like pretty nice little chunk there, where do you snag your corals? Local fish store? Do they have any knowlegable people to take a look at the different algae that you have acquired from your main rock source? This can potentially be a calaustrea that got too close of a cut and has yet to split but my bets are on a moseleya wich is a pretty uncommon coral that does not like too much light or flow,these guys look very much like calasutrea without a stem.. I really like them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go out of town for all my reefing stuff, to a saltwater fish and coral shop that's been the best source for everything so far. I haven't asked them about the algae, although I should, now that you mention it. And thanks! I hope it's caulastrea, that's what I wanted when I went in, but none of the frags had "split" I guess. It is a pretty piece only $60. :D sounds like I'll just keep it on the sand bed just in case it is moseleya.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Both Calaustrea and Moseleya have similar care requirements and can be fed brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, or other coral foods when the feeder tentacles are out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts