Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
So its been a couple of years since I have had tanks. I'm starting on a new brackish water tank. I am having some problems though. I have my salinity correct, but am having issues getting my PH down. I have a 75 gallon tank, and no fish as of yet. My ph is sitting around 8. My water is from a well, and is part of the reason that I stopped keeping fish. I am using Florida crushed coral. I have been trying too use PH Down, but have heard mixed reviews. Does anyone have some helpful advice? Also what kinda fish should I go with. I'm really wanting too raise some Green Spotted Puffers, but I know they are very fragile.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Archers, monos and scats are some cool brackish fish. I don't know much about them so do your research. I've always wanted archers.

I don't think your ph is too bad but the crushed coral may be raising your ph. Do you know what the Ph is of your water out of the tap?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
After doing a quick search a ph of 8 may not be an issue with brackish fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No fish yet. The coral i used said it would keep ph at a constant level and not raise it. Is ph 8 ok for brackish water?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The water from my well is also sitting around an 8. Even treating the water the ph still hasn't dropped.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ya 8 is fine for brackish, you actually want it high. No coral sand will raise the ph, but it isnt a problem. Some really cool brackish fish are, night gobies and bumblebee gobies. Green spot puffers are cool, and not really fragile. Also a f8 puffer would be cool. You could stock it something like this
2 spotted puffers
2 f8 pufffers
3-4 knight gobies
3-4 scats or monos
That is how i think i would stock it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My water also looks super cloudy. I mean it looks better than day 1. Yet its not cleared up. Tank has been up and running 4 days.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Ya 8 is fine for brackish, you actually want it high. No coral sand will raise the ph, but it isnt a problem. Some really cool brackish fish are, night gobies and bumblebee gobies. Green spot puffers are cool, and not really fragile. Also a f8 puffer would be cool. You could stock it something like this
2 spotted puffers
2 f8 pufffers
3-4 knight gobies
3-4 scats or monos
That is how i think i would stock it.
Posted via Mobile Device
In a 75 gallon you can absolutely not do two green spotted puffers with other fish. They grow into 6" footballs and need full marine as adults. If you want GSPs, you can only have two GSPs in this tank. You could keep 3-5 F8 puffers but with no other fish as well. I believe the monos and scats also get too large to keep that many in a 75 (I believe the max is 2) and will eat the knight gobies. What fish caught your eye and made you choose brackish?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sand is wicked easy to wash. Just throw it in a pillow case and wash away. Just do some water changes, if you dont want to restart.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It will settle, it isnt hurting your filter. But you could do some freshwater changes than do the last one brackish. So you dont waste salt.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 24 Posts