Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new tank setup. Its 10 gallons, I have 2 fiddler crabs and 3 praecox rainbowfish. Personally I didn't want them, but this tank was for my boyfriend who insisted on them. I heard fiddler crabs need land for air, but I have an airstone in the tank, so will that suffice for air? I also want to add maybe 2-3 more fish and possibly a red claw crab if I can, since [I think] they do better. Any suggestions for fish, or have I already reached my tank limit. I want brackish fish, since the rainbowfish and crabs do well in brackish water. [

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thought the praecox were freshwater too, but i found it online from a couple different sources that they could get along with kribensis or ram cichlids, and because cichlids do better with a little bit of salt in their tanks i thought they could do ok in slightly brackish water. My salinity is 1.008 and they are actually doing ok, the male's color got much more vibrant and he's grown a little. my crabs found a way to crawl up one of my tank decorations and they can breathe fine, they don't bother the fish- it's actually the other way around. so we'll see how it goes.

as for puffers, i've seen the figure 8s and green spotted do well in a 10 as long as it was the only fish. the indian spotted puffers get only about 1 inch long, but they nibble on each other. they need a higher level on the brackish water, about 1.009 or 1.10, or their color gets really drab and they start dying.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.