1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
What are the two cichlids?

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
A large school of cories or some reasonable sized plecos would do well depending on your water and the type of cichlids you keep. BWG made an incredible "shopping list" on another thread of plecos.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A large school of cories or some reasonable sized plecos would do well depending on your water and the type of cichlids you keep. BWG made an incredible "shopping list" on another thread of plecos.
What is considered "large"?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I would go with a group of blue Botia, aka red tailed loaches. Larger and MUCH more personality and action to watch, plus they have the temperament to put up with JDs and other more aggressive cichlids.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with a group of blue Botia, aka red tailed loaches. Larger and MUCH more personality and action to watch, plus they have the temperament to put up with JDs and other more aggressive cichlids.
I heard they get really large. A group of them might be overwhelming.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I heard they get really large. A group of them might be overwhelming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Appropriate for your really large tank.

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
Agree, a 180g tank is plenty of room for a group of them. Ideally you want to get them bigger or the same size as the JD when you purchase them, this will prevent the JD seeing them as food possibly.

·
Registered
840 Posts
just a thought

I have jack dempsey and convict in a 75 gal with pictus catfish. The pictus will eat every scrap of food thatyour cichlids don't get, they are VERY greedy. They are not exlcusivly bottom feeders but they will find any piece of food that falls to the substrate. My dempsey is very aggressive but he wont bother the catfish. Pictus are very active and boisterous, strong athletic fish, and they fight back if they are threatened. You could fit a good size school of them in your big 180.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts