Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are tiger barbs compatible with ghost shrimp and/or plecostmus?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
well im pretty sure the ghost shrimp is fine but the pleco might have some problems, are you going to keep those three tiger barbs or get more? if you have 6+ they will be less agressive towards other fish.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Personally, I would be wary of keeping tiger barbs with bottom dwellers, even if the barbs are in a large group.

I speak from experience when I added a group of 9 tiger barbs to my community tank, thinking that in a large group they would leave the other fish alone. They killed one cory and damaged a pleco and numerous other fish (which fortunately I didn't lose).

I had to move the barbs to another tank.

As for shrimp - I really can't answer that as I've never kept them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I always reccomend ghost shrimp for such applications. The main plus side is that they are very cheap so if the tiger barbs do decide to kill them well you didn't lost nearly as much money as you would if they killed another bottom dwelling fish.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The other option is to go with a catfish that will stay hidden while the barbs are active, and come out while they sleep. If the barbs are grown, maybe a Raphael would be a good night time cleaner. If you have smaller fish or a sand substrate, you could probably go with a bajo catfish or two. They'll burrow right out of sight if harassed.

Still, at 10 cents a pop, ghost shrimp really can't be beat for price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Plecostomus

If you have a shoal of 6 to 8 yes the aggression will go down but the plecostomus should have no problem as long as you by it prior to getting your tiger barbs so the plecostomus has more time to grow thus will not really be a threatened by attacking tiger barbs having time to grow plecos are very tough fish. just make sure you had the tiger barbs long enough for the pleco to have some food putting a pleco in a new setup is bad news.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had 1/2 a dozen tiger barbs mixed with plecs corys, loaches, guaramis, and tetras. The only fish they didnt bother was the clown plec, btu then again he hid in his caves on on wood so i dont think they even knew he was there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
musho3210 said:
well im pretty sure the ghost shrimp is fine but the pleco might have some problems, are you going to keep those three tiger barbs or get more? if you have 6+ they will be less agressive towards other fish.
I got a sailfin plecostomus and he fit in well. The barbs are still very small so they leave the pleco alone. He can also raise his fin to look bigger and scare them away.

My next questions are -
are ghost shrimp compatible with plecos?

what about gouramis?

·
Registered
22 Posts
tank

I have a tiger barb tank setup in fact im getting 2 more for my tank im building it slowly another question will my tiger barbs take kindly to there new mates

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have not had any trouble adding to my tiger barb tank, so far. 7 has been my magic number- with seven of them they became the sweetest fish ever. i keep them with yoyo loaches- they bothered them at first and then the yoyos fougth back, no problems since

·
Registered
146 Posts
if u dont mind them mollies would work ... sailfins get big and wouldnt be bothered ... they would probly fight back. and if ur worried about them breeding im sure tigers would finish off the babies before they even got a chance to run.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
mr.bojangles said:
if u dont mind them mollies would work ... sailfins get big and wouldnt be bothered ... they would probly fight back. and if ur worried about them breeding im sure tigers would finish off the babies before they even got a chance to run.
I doubt they'll be able to fend the tigers. Sailfins have extraordinarily large fins and in this case, it makes them prone to being nipped. Sorry but I disagree with your suggestion over this combo.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi
just my two pennies worth.
i've got Tiger barbs,albino T barbs,moss green T barbs, 5 spot banded barbs,
odessa barbs,YoYo loaches,and albino corys,
they are all living happily along side two little
bristlenosed catfish.
never had(touch wood) a problem,if the barbs get a little
close at feeding time to the waffers,then the bristlies,
flair out the side cheeks,and spread the dorsal fin,
and the barbs shove off.
:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
About the Ghost Shrimp...

I love Ghost Shrimp. I recently got a very large one and put it in my tank, thinking it was large enough to not be bothered.

I added 6 tiger barbs, and the Ghost Shrimp was gone in less than a week. And I unfortunately stumbled onto them doing it in the process. It was pitiful and horrible to watch. There was nothing left of the shrimp.

So yeah, definitely keep that in mind. I would get another Ghost Shrimp again though.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Always thought it would be interesting to do a tank with Tiger Barbs and Skunk Loaches and a couple of CAEs. It would be a vortex of mean.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
pffhhh(i think that's how you do it :lol: )
tigers.........more like pussy cats.
but yeah in being serious,i have seen the way they
attack a prawn(from tesco) and they are relentless !!!
how about Mountain shrimp ??
i have got Four in with the barbs,they started off small
and now the biggest is around 3 1/12 inches long,
i can provide a pic of mine if you wish :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
willow said:
pffhhh(i think that's how you do it :lol: )
tigers.........more like pussy cats.
but yeah in being serious,i have seen the way they
attack a prawn(from tesco) and they are relentless !!!
how about Mountain shrimp ??
i have got Four in with the barbs,they started off small
and now the biggest is around 3 1/12 inches long,
i can provide a pic of mine if you wish :)
I know it's not really for my benefit, but yes please, photos!!!

Syno for bottom dwellers?

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
ok here it is,the meeting of the clan.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
and another

pics are a little big,sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts