Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This friday or saturday i am going to get the last fish for my tank, two bolivian rams. I know quite a lot about them but i need last minuet facts like

Feeding, what do they eat
Temperature (currently i dont use a heater since my room temperature is fine for my current species, but i do have a heater)
Common diseases for them and how to cure (i know the basics, like ich, fin rot, cotton mouth)
And any other information you know.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't keep bolivian's but I do have a trio of german blue rams and would imagine that most of their information would be similar. Mine eat standard flake food along with bloodworms, brine shrimp, and pretty much any other food I've ever put in a tank with them. I think they prefer temperatures in the range of 76-84...my tank is currently at 85 and the gbrs are doing great. Diseases I'm not too sure on, they're kinda finicky when it comes to water parameters though and don't respond very well to pH shifts. Mine are kept at 6.5 in soft water (40-60 ppm) with nitrates under 10ppm. Just keep in mind that I'm speaking based on my experience with german blue rams not bolivian rams. I hear the bolivians are somewhat hardier though IMO the german blues are better looking and stay a little smaller.

Here's two pics of my male GBR under very low light...wish I could get a decent picture of him under full lighting but hes usually too busy chasing away his non-chosen female and doesn't ever sit still long enough.

Best of luck with the bolivians. If you ever decide you have the room for em I highly reccomend the GBRs...gorgeous fish

·
Registered
765 Posts
FDStation152 said:
I don't keep bolivian's but I do have a trio of german blue rams and would imagine that most of their information would be similar. Mine eat standard flake food along with bloodworms, brine shrimp, and pretty much any other food I've ever put in a tank with them. I think they prefer temperatures in the range of 76-84...my tank is currently at 85 and the gbrs are doing great. Diseases I'm not too sure on, they're kinda finicky when it comes to water parameters though and don't respond very well to pH shifts. Mine are kept at 6.5 in soft water (40-60 ppm) with nitrates under 10ppm. Just keep in mind that I'm speaking based on my experience with german blue rams not bolivian rams. I hear the bolivians are somewhat hardier though IMO the german blues are better looking and stay a little smaller.

Here's two pics of my male GBR under very low light...wish I could get a decent picture of him under full lighting but hes usually too busy chasing away his non-chosen female and doesn't ever sit still long enough.

Best of luck with the bolivians. If you ever decide you have the room for em I highly reccomend the GBRs...gorgeous fish
OMG! :shock2:
I love that fish! :D
It looks so good under low light! :wink:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sooner or later I'm gonna get him to sit still under full light and you'll really see just how good he looks. His female companions arent as brilliant but they too are looking very good these days.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here's a better lit picture of him back in the plants. Also a much better picture of my discus that insisted on coming to see what all the fuss with the flashing camera was about

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well since my tank has a ph of 7.4, GBR's are no good for my tank. I heard bolivians can live in a wide range of ph so thats why i chose the bolivians. Also one day i will hopefully get either a 55 gallon or a 75 gallon tank so im not too fussy about size.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
Feeding, what do they eat
Temperature (currently i dont use a heater since my room temperature is fine for my current species, but i do have a heater)
Common diseases for them and how to cure (i know the basics, like ich, fin rot, cotton mouth)
And any other information you know.
Bolivians are hardier and will reach 8 cm max size. They eat anything you give them. Don't feed them foods that are not considered nutritious though. Temp for them should range from 26-30oC. In my experience, they tend to become lethargic if temp is below 26.:shake: As for diseases, I would say just maintain the tank very well and you'll have lesser problems. They are quite prone to HITH(Hole-in-the-head) or Hexamita however but Metronidazole will work excellently.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Musho, I moved your thread to Cichlids.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks blue. how many inches is 8 cm, i always heard bolivians reach a maxiumum of 3 inches, is this true?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, are they slow or fast growers, i'll probably get a bigger tank in about 8-9 months. THe tank im talking about is the 20 gallon one in my siggy. I will move all the fish in that tank to the bigger one once i get it.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
ok, are they slow or fast growers, i'll probably get a bigger tank in about 8-9 months. THe tank im talking about is the 20 gallon one in my siggy. I will move all the fish in that tank to the bigger one once i get it.
Depends on how you care for them. They're a bit slower than the blue rams when it comes to growing though.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im hoping i will get a male and a female in hopes of breeding, i would love to see fish actually taking care of there babies, rather than eating them.... But i know its nearly impossible to sex while they are young, oh well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bolvians will usally pick foods of the ground instead of being topfeeders so if you can it may be a good idea to pick up a small packet of sinking cichlid pellets for them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
ive noticed that 1 of my bolivians wont come to the top for food, she stays down the bottom, tho the other one will come up for food, very weird, i have to feed the one that wont sinking food

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolivians are very hardy

I have had a male Bolivian Ram for about 6yrs now....he is extremely resilient and easy to deal with. Keeping the tank clean is essential, nto nearly as sensitive as GBR's...I have had too many perish because of water quality issues. In my tank, the Bolivian Ram will eat anything I give him in terms of food, pellets or flake or blood worms...
Socially, the Ram has been terrific with mixed tetras and plecos...even accepted the Junipuri I added about 1yr ago....Great fish for a community tank and I wish I saw more of them in my area to add to my tank...best of luck and enjoy.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im feeding my bolivians different things each day, two days ago i fed flakes and they didnt seem to eager about it, yesterday i fed floating pellets that got waterlogged and sank, they ate them when they sank but if there were other fish in there they wouldnt sink. Today i fed them worms and they seemed ok about it but wouldnt eat them in front of me, i left then came back and there were no more worms, im going to try feeding them worms again tomorow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts