Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Ok, going beyond that some of you don't like to use carbon. I heard that if you boil carbon every other month it is just like putting new carbon back in the filter. Is this true? Can I keep using the same carbon if I boil it periodically?
Carbon has very short effectiveness in the aquarium.(lot of boiling in my view)
If you are looking for excellent product on par with, or better than Carbon,, which CAN be recharged,,I would were it me,,consider product such as Purigen.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Carbon has very short effectiveness in the aquarium.(lot of boiling in my view)
If you are looking for excellent product on par with, or better than Carbon,, which CAN be recharged,,I would were it me,,consider product such as Purigen.
Not a bad idea 1077, however the synthetic resin in Seachem's Purigen only adsorbs dissolved organics. Activated carbon adsorbs many more impurities.

I have used Purigen in the past and like the resulting crystal clear water. However, I have come around to the notion that many beneficial bacteria rely on dissolved organics as their primary food source. Removing it may disrupt the 'concert' otherwise played out by the beneficial bacterial 'orchestra'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, going beyond that some of you don't like to use carbon. I heard that if you boil carbon every other month it is just like putting new carbon back in the filter. Is this true? Can I keep using the same carbon if I boil it periodically?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dr Axlrod’s book on fish keeping is where I first read that. We have been using the same charcoal from the fish store since 1997.
My fish are very healthy and my water tests are fine.
Use a camping porslane pan.
Rinse good in cold water, I use my hand.
Fill half way with water, 3” above the charcoal, boil for 20 mins, I boil it twice, rinse, boil again.
We have a old 350 magnum filter, a charcoal hog. But it works great,
Can show pictures if you like.
I also put 1/3 Ammonia rocks with the charcoal. That boils together.
Honest it works great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would imagine there has to be a way to "reactivate" the carbon so it works again. The way I have seen to do it is to bake it in the oven for hours on end at very low temps. Boiling it should remove some of the stuff from the carbon but I am not sure if a single boil session would remove even a majority of the nasties.

As for using carbon, there are a lot of people that swear by it. And it is only actually effective for about 3 weeks unless your tanks are very understocked and your water is extremely clean and soft. No chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, odors nor anything else.

Just be careful whatever you do with activated carbon. I do not know the science behind it nor much about it but I have heard you can relase carbon dioxide/monoxide in massive amounts if you heat it wrong or too hot. How much truth there is too it I don't know but better to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, going beyond that some of you don't like to use carbon. I kheard that if you boil carbon every other month it is just like putting new carbon back in the filter. Is this true? Can I keep using the same carbon if I boil it periodically?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try it boiling charcoal...restores it like new, it also last at least a month, we have 55 gallon.
Been using same 5lbs charcoal since 1997. Baking does not work! If you don’t want to save money... don’t try it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try it boiling charcoal...restores it like new, it also last at least a month, we have 55 gallon.
Been using same 5lbs charcoal since 1997. Baking does not work! If you don’t want to save money... don’t try it!
Look up how chalcoal is made, it’s very expensive energy wise. Look up how nylon is made, it can be boiled in the bags!!!! Has a high melting temp. Cloths go through the sanitise cycle....how hot is that. This phone is too small! Try it, you will not be disapointed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look up how chalcoal is made, it’s very expensive energy wise. Look up how nylon is made, it can be boiled in the bags!!!! Has a high melting temp. Cloths go through the sanitise cycle....how hot is that. This phone is too small! Try it, you will not be disapointed!
Try boiling it works, maybe better than new! Do it twice, rinse with cold water, boil again, rinse with cold water to cool it, fill the bags, or filter. You will not loose any fish! They may even than you with babies.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts