Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I keep them in tanks with fast swimming community fish. Look for ones that swim mostly at the top levels of your tank.
Agreed, you can easily keep crayfish in a community tank, as long as you choose the fish wisely. Anything that spends the night near the bottom is not going to make it - crayfish hunt at night. I've kept crayfish with several barb species, as well as danios. I would expect rainbows to be okay too, but they are pretty expensive. Top water fish like golden wonder killis and african butterflies will do well. Piranhas? Oscars? Frankly, terrible choices. I don't know how one would expect anything different. Angelfish and goldfish are also bad choices, as are any bottom dwellers. They are not compatible with plants - crayfish are aquatic bulldozers.

I would not suggest keeping a crayfish in a 10 gallon tank. It's just not big enough, plain and simple. In my experience, they try to escape from 10 gallon tanks. Think about it- they only utilize a small percentage of the tank - the bottom. That's all they have. You wouldn't keep a 6 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank, so I don't understand why it's okay to keep a crayfish in one. At least the fish will utilize the entire volume of the tank.

The blue crayfish is just a color morph of whatever species it is, usually clarkii or alleni. There is no difference between them and the normal colored ones - the claws are not smaller just because they are blue.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts