Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey mate. On the first problem with the BW tetras. Sounds problematic that you had one die with similar symptoms. Is there a possibility of placing them in a QT. if they look gaunt then I would say stress is the big factor. They maybe at the bottom of the pecking order in respect to the other BW. Competing for food and hence not eating. In Quarantine you may be able to feed them and get some strength back up. The serpae tetra is a known fin nipper. Have there been any signs of harassment towards the other fish?
The blood fin and serpae swimming around frantically problem. Are they showing good colour and feeding well? Is there sufficient plants to provide diffused light? Do you have room lights on before and after the tank lights go on and off? This could be the stressor. How often do you feed them? My fish look for me when the lights go on as it usually means feeding time.
That's about all I have. I hope it helps as I'm definitely not a fish whisperer.
Cheers and good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey mate. Sorry to hear about the extra deaths. Is there any signs of disease. Be absolutely critical. White spots, frayed fins anything. Sounds like stress is the big contributor. May I suggest getting some shade cloth to diffuse the light until the plants grow out some more. Giant hygrophila ( excuse spelling) its in the profiles as a stem plant. It is amazing, mine grows 1" a week and cut and replant and so on. Can I also suggest removing at least the 10k lamp from your lights. I recon they are getting a small dose of super bright light. That might explain the stress as they all prefer broken subdued light. Even a pillow case or fly screen mesh could diffuse the light.
I reckon the light is the problem. Everything else looks awesome. And yes is is the tail end of summer here. Constantly adjusting my tank heater is annoying me
Keep me posted
Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
How are the BW tetras doing in quarantine. Are they eating? Have you noticed less frantic behaviour from the others with reduced light?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts