Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have had my 75g tank up & running for a month or so now, and have not been able to keep the Ph down. I have petrified wood & some plants in there, on top of Tractor Supply Black Diamond sand. I have researched this to death before I bought it, and read a TON of people say there were no problems, etc. However, no matter what I do, my Ph will not stay neutral.

Has anyone else run into this? Did I catch a bad batch?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
What is your tap pH and what is the tank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jaysee-
Using a brand new API freshwater master kit, my tap water was 6.6 - 6.8 straight out of the faucet, and I verified it by putting it in a container & letting it sit for an hour or so. The tank is showing 7.6+ (forgot to try the High Range test). If I added sand to the exact same container & water I let sit @ 6.6, it started rising to neutral pretty quick, then after another hour was a little darker than 7.2.

rickey-
I am kinda surprised it is doing this too. I will try again tonight, but I've been kinda establishing this trend the past week. That's why I was thinking I may have a bad batch of sand. I'm wondering if this will work it's way out, or if I plain have to change the substrate out?

I've been reading about adding peat moss to lower it naturally, so I'm tempted to try a little of that. Especially if this *may* be a temporary rise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I guess that is true. But I also can maintain my 37g tank with no issue without the 24h wait, and those numbers don't vary hardly at all when I check things the same way.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Its going to be kind of hard to keep the Ph right at 7.0 that's not really a natural number.
If you put the black diamond in the cup and let it sit and the Ph went up I would say that's you problem. You can do two cups of just straight tap and a cup of of the sand and water and let it sit for awhile (more then a hour to be sure) but its probably not going to change your result. About the only thing you can do there is switch out the sand for something else

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's kinda what I was hoping to avoid.... not only the tear down & re-setup of a tank, but the expense to find new substrate for something that large. I really can't believe I'm the only one to find this, so I was seeing if there were options to fix it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hey guys,

I have had my 75g tank up & running for a month or so now, and have not been able to keep the Ph down. I have petrified wood & some plants in there, on top of Tractor Supply Black Diamond sand. I have researched this to death before I bought it, and read a TON of people say there were no problems, etc. However, no matter what I do, my Ph will not stay neutral.

Has anyone else run into this? Did I catch a bad batch?
It is very normal for planted tanks to run high ph. As carbon dioxide is consumed by the plants pH rises. In my tanks both marine and fw I have a just before lights out pH of 8.4-8.8 (purple api high range test kit). Yet even fish like neon tetras and hacetfish "requiring" low ph of 7 or less, live for years and years.

To me it is hardly harmful to any fish if pH is high because of low co2 and high oxygen.

my .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will keep checking it to make sure it's stable, which I am pretty sure it is at this point. I want to get Crystal Shrimp, which is why I was looking to lower it. From what I've learned this weekend, pond peat pellets supposedly don't leach tannins & last a reasonable amount. And it also adds things beneficial to fish anyway. But I may leave it be & try the shrimp anyway at the higher pH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts