Tropical Fish Keeping banner

161 - 180 of 222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Guppy fry really aren't super sensitive, I also raise guppy fry. There is nothing wrong with your substrate, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oh, I see you edited the post. It sounds like a root. Can you get a pic of it?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Just plant the bottom and eventually the roots will form. Roots coming form the side is totally normal, especially if they're floating; the roots just go down from wherever they come from. As I mentioned before when we first started to talk about plants, I did mention that the roots will form anywhere on the stem and you can cut them just under the roots to make two separate stems if you wanted. Or just plant in the gravel and that root will eventually grow into the substrate too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Some is in the gravel and ja i know that. But I dont know how to plant it (to have new plants). Can I leave it and when i take the breeder tank out than plant it again (any way)?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
You should see the leaves facing upwards, that is usually the top and that isn't planted. But yeah, sometimes it's hard to tell what is the top, usually the top is bending towards the light and that's a good indication. If you can't find which is top and which is bottom just yet, let it float for a couple more weeks until it's clear which is top.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I've been searching crypto galleries and i cant seem to find a plant that look close to mine. Any other ideas of what it might be

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I know you said i mustnt speak about fish but i would like to add 5 or or so ottos to help with hair algae on plants. Please help me. Don't want to make the same mistake. Lfs said they would be fine

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I've been searching crypto galleries and i cant seem to find a plant that look close to mine. Any other ideas of what it might be
Try searching Crypt or Cryptocoryne instead, no one says Crypto :)

I know you said i mustnt speak about fish but i would like to add 5 or or so ottos to help with hair algae on plants. Please help me. Don't want to make the same mistake. Lfs said they would be fine
And Oto's won't eat hair algae, they only eat soft green algae and Diatoms (brown algae). If you want to get rid of algae, reduce your lights to 6 hours daily (plants need 6 hours minimum) and manually remove the algae by either rubbing it off the leaves gently or pluck the leaves if the plant has enough leaves to spare.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
And Oto's won't eat hair algae, they only eat soft green algae and Diatoms (brown algae). If you want to get rid of algae, reduce your lights to 6 hours daily (plants need 6 hours minimum) and manually remove the algae by either rubbing it off the leaves gently or pluck the leaves if the plant has enough leaves to spare.
I had to pluck a few of my vas and throw away a rotala. And what if the tank is getting direct light only. Close the curtains after 6 hours would help?
Vas had black algae but only on one and rotala's hair algae were behind saving.
I also think I have green water. Not sure but my breeder net is green and tank water look greenish

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Having a tank in sunlight is a recipe for disaster with algae outbreaks.

Throw a blanket or big towel over the tank and keep lights out for 3 days, this will help kill off some algae. Then plants should have a growth spurt when they see light again. Don't worry about feeding fish, just let them be. This should help with greenwater too.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Start 3 day black out first and then after that, keep lights to 6 hours maximum for about a week and that should help. Doing water changes helps too.

If you want to do your CO2 and figure that out then go ahead. Your Ancaharis (in that photo, the very right plant) may melt so be aware of that.

Also, the supposed "crypt" plant, does it look more like a stem plant? It's in this picture, right? Towards the back? It has a red stem? It looks more like a Hygrophilla species!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Start 3 day black out first and then after that, keep lights to 6 hours maximum for about a week and that should help. Doing water changes helps too.

If you want to do your CO2 and figure that out then go ahead. Your Ancaharis (in that photo, the very right plant) may melt so be aware of that.

Also, the supposed "crypt" plant, does it look more like a stem plant? It's in this picture, right? Towards the back? It has a red stem? It looks more like a Hygrophilla species!
Will start with the blackout. And run my air pump. I have the co2 running. Yes im looking to chuck out some of my smaller plants and get others but first java moss.
I made another thread and a member said its not crypt because it has a stem so he said its hydrophilic. But i replanted it and separate the stems because it was rotting

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I want to move my tank. Currently have 8 guppies and 9 guppy fry. What are need to knows? Wpuld you advise it.
I have a spot that get far less direct sun. I want to put 60liters of the tank water in containers and the gravel and than move the tank. Is it dangerous for plants or fish?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Will start with the blackout. And run my air pump. I have the co2 running. Yes im looking to chuck out some of my smaller plants and get others but first java moss.
I made another thread and a member said its not crypt because it has a stem so he said its hydrophilic. But i replanted it and separate the stems because it was rotting
Yes, run your air pump for sure, that will help.

And yeah, definitely a Hygrophila species. From your first pictures of it, it did look more like a Crypt since I didn't see the stem very well, but that's okay, it's still a good plant. And it's okay to separate the stems too, better for the plant.

I want to move my tank. Currently have 8 guppies and 9 guppy fry. What are need to knows? Wpuld you advise it.
I have a spot that get far less direct sun. I want to put 60liters of the tank water in containers and the gravel and than move the tank. Is it dangerous for plants or fish?
I'm almost afraid to ask but...what happened to your other fish?

Yes, you can move your tank. 60 liters is plenty to keep for them. If you're strong enough, you can leave the gravel and plants inside of it and have your dad help you or something. But if you need to take the gravel out, that's okay too. Keep plants in a container with water while you move the tank, they don't need to be in sunlight or anything but just keep them moist while they're out of the tank (same goes for fish too haha!) and then just set it back up with old water and some new water. Plant it first, set up heater/filter first and add fish last after everything is all set. Make sure you let them float for a while if you add lots of new water, that way they won't be shocked if there is a temperature difference in the new water :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Got it! Thanks alot.
Uhm the new cory lost their eyes so i blamed the lfs and said they must quarantine all my fish and so i bough 8 guppies. I showed them your post and they agreed that tetra need to be in a school and so i told them one of the workers said i can buy the one.
Long story short some survived and got quarantined.
I will probably move the tank next month. Me and my dad will first build the frame and cupboard.

Any idea on nice substrate for better plant growth and roots? Want to use fertilizer sand and my old gravel on top

161 - 180 of 222 Posts