Tropical Fish Keeping banner

141 - 160 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Ah, try to find Microsword; it's easier than dwarf hairgrass, needs lots of root tabs but will work. Takes a little while to grow but it will get there eventually with some care and nurturing ^_^

And no, Java Moss won't hurt the filter, it may be a little difficult to clean but you just need to squish/squeeze gently the sponge every now and then. Don't put it on the internal filter though, let the Vals grow bigger and they'll cover it eventually.
Yeah the vals is thr only plant growing on the internal filter side. I dont like the stringy look of the java moss and will take it as a last resort. Microsword is also a bit too long but will take it over the java moss. Anything similar to Marsilea Minuta but easier to grow?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It doesn't get that tall, only about 3-4 inches usually.

You can trim java moss to keep it compact, it's not that hard actually.

And you can try Hygrophila sp. Japan if you can find it, easier but it is more stringy than M. Minuta, but you could grow it for sure and just trim it to keep it smaller. You can try the M. Minuta but you'll just have to be vigilant with your fert dosing and replanting root tabs when needed every 3-5 months or so depending on the brand you get.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
It doesn't get that tall, only about 3-4 inches usually.

You can trim java moss to keep it compact, it's not that hard actually.

And you can try Hygrophila sp. Japan if you can find it, easier but it is more stringy than M. Minuta, but you could grow it for sure and just trim it to keep it smaller. You can try the M. Minuta but you'll just have to be vigilant with your fert dosing and replanting root tabs when needed every 3-5 months or so depending on the brand you get.
The problem i see with java moss and microsword is that when i clean the tank i might vacuum the carpet with it.
I need liquid fertiliser for the rotala so M. Minuta is out. Ill go with microsword and trim it to 0.5cm cause that's the effect i want. I think the java moss will be to thin and the white substrate will easily show

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Uhh, no, what I was saying is that M. Minuta NEEDS ferts. I meant replace the root tabs every 3-5 months, not dose liquid ferts every 3-5 months, that needs to be done weekly or even twice a week if your plants end up needing it.

Microsword won't take too kindly to being trimmed. There is nothing that stays half a centimeter. You can do a carpet with Riccia tied to a flat rock.

You don't vacuum in the middle of the grass when it's first starting off, it may come up a few times but you just replant it. Once it's established and roots are doing well, then you can vacuum lightly in the grass.

When I get home, I'll show you what my Java Moss looks like as it's growing on my decor.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
The reason i want m. Minuta is because it grows nice tall with leaves. Where the java moss look too thin for my liking. But i will listen to you and get that

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oh crud >.< I forgot to get a pic, sorry! Ended up being super busy! I'll try to remember today!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I saw on youtube that they trim it very low to the substrate. Bow i would just like to see yours but im going with java moss

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
So, I apologize, I should have gotten more pictures and my java moss is not trimmed by any means but I just wanted to show you that it grows on ornaments very easily! It's easily trimmed as you saw as well, it would grow nicely over your sponge filter.

But here, you can barely see the ornament underneath except for the front where it hasn't covered just yet.

Here is another plant that I was talking about: Hydrocotyle sp. Japan. Not sure if you can get it in your area but it's great if you can. It's a creeping plant and can grow upwards, but you can trim it or weigh it down to keep it short.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I have my list of plants to get :D and I'm runing diy co2 now and have fertiliser. Im adding more guppies and plants next month. Your tank look beautiful and that japen plant (i hope i get it).
I have a video of the airstone runing but cant post it. Thanks for your help.
I will post as soon as i have new plants. At the moment i didn't add root tabs yet. The lfs said i should try diy co2 with the fertilizer first and come back after a month if i see no results

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Got 3 new plants and all the stores i went to doesnt have java moss. I would like to know if everything was planted correctly and all planta except the Anubias were planted in a bunch tied together. I would also like to know the name of the other two plants

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
The anubias looks good! The second pic is some sort of Cryptocoryne I think. The first, the one with larger leaves is some Ludwigia and then the Rotala.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Only found out today it's a crypto and it is planted correctly. Seeing it grow vertically with new green stem (if that's correct) and the fertiliser doesnt help with the brown spots because it doesnt contain phosphate. Do i have a problem even if new leaves are nice and green?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
You can cut anywhere but preferably cut near the base because the stem will rot if you just cut the leaf off. Some plants will self-repair but most won't, so if they have brown spots then it's best to just cut off that leaf/stem/node and let it grow new leaves or stems. If the new leaf is green then you shouldn't have an issue, it might be from the tank it was in before is all. Crypts are also known for melting, so if they turn slightly translucent on the leaves, it's okay, it's just acclimating to your water.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
The slightly brown leaf? Meh, I'd just leave it on, it won't do any damage unless it's 50% dead/dying, and then you can cut it off.

And what's the gravel pic for? You have some mulm build up (poop and other debris make up mulm) but that's what gravel vacuum's are for ^_^

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
The slightly brown leaf? Meh, I'd just leave it on, it won't do any damage unless it's 50% dead/dying, and then you can cut it off.

And what's the gravel pic for? You have some mulm build up (poop and other debris make up mulm) but that's what gravel vacuum's are for ^_^
Lol no, there's air bubbles but i read online it's only a problem when the air bubbles smell like rotten egg when you pop it and it doesnt. Want to make sure if i should worry?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oh, no, you don't have to worry. That's only if your substrate exceeds 3 inches in that spot and is tightly compact like sand is. Gravel usually doesn't have that issue unless you literally have 3-4 inches. What you have is normal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
I have 8 guppy fry so I'm just as sensitive as they are to anthing in the tank.
I have floating rotala in the breeder tank. What is the white line growing from it (can't explain) (not transparent)

141 - 160 of 222 Posts