Tropical Fish Keeping banner

121 - 140 of 222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yeah, that's a red-eye Tetra. They're fine. But the issue you still have is that Tetras are schooling fish. ALL Tetras, ALL Danios, ALL Barbs, they're all schooling fish which means you HAVE to have at least 5 together in one tank to be happy. This is where your issue first came about; your tank is overstocked severely and now you have a single Tetra that will not do well because he doesn't have a school. Same goes for that spotted cory cat, cory cats will NOT school with other species of cory. You need to have all the same type of cory for them to be happy and healthy. I will not be surprised if your tank gets ich again. I don't mean to be harsh but you've basically disregarded everything I've told you. I will no longer help with your fish issues, I will give advice on plants if you need it but I don't want to waste my time with someone who won't/can't learn. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Yeah, that's a red-eye Tetra. They're fine. But the issue you still have is that Tetras are schooling fish. ALL Tetras, ALL Danios, ALL Barbs, they're all schooling fish which means you HAVE to have at least 5 together in one tank to be happy. This is where your issue first came about; your tank is overstocked severely and now you have a single Tetra that will not do well because he doesn't have a school. Same goes for that spotted cory cat, cory cats will NOT school with other species of cory. You need to have all the same type of cory for them to be happy and healthy. I will not be surprised if your tank gets ich again. I don't mean to be harsh but you've basically disregarded everything I've told you. I will no longer help with your fish issues, I will give advice on plants if you need it but I don't want to waste my time with someone who won't/can't learn. I'm sorry.
I get you. No problem. Not my fault the lfs said i can buy albino cory cause i have brown cory and the tetra can be on their own. I will have to take it out and flash it as it already has silver underneath
You said i can buy cories and thats what i did. She gave a spotted one and an albino

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
That's why you need to do research first. No matter what, don't trust the pet store; they only want your money. Google things before you purchase.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
That's why you need to do research first. No matter what, don't trust the pet store; they only want your money. Google things before you purchase.
Thanks, sorry for wasting your time. I will research everything from now on. Gave the tetra to my friend that has tetras and now im stuck with the albino cory and spotted cory

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Hey, my Rotala Indica is losing color and have brown edges but the rest of my plants are nice and green. Should i just add liquid fertilizer? And can I just buy more low light plants or is there any i need to know?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Sure, liquid ferts are always good for stem plants. I dose my tanks twice a week, you may only need once a week though. Did you get a liquid fert? If so, what brand?

And yes, you can certainly buy all the plants you want! Just keep in mind that, that means you may need to dose more ferts with more plants. If you get Amazon Swords or Cryptocorynes, they'll need root tabs under them. Stem plants like liquid and rosette/carpet plants like the ones I just mentioned, they like root tabs. But both types will appreciate both types of ferts so the Swords will also like liquid ferts and the stem plants like your Rotala, will also like the root tabs too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Sure, liquid ferts are always good for stem plants. I dose my tanks twice a week, you may only need once a week though. Did you get a liquid fert? If so, what brand?

And yes, you can certainly buy all the plants you want! Just keep in mind that, that means you may need to dose more ferts with more plants. If you get Amazon Swords or Cryptocorynes, they'll need root tabs under them. Stem plants like liquid and rosette/carpet plants like the ones I just mentioned, they like root tabs. But both types will appreciate both types of ferts so the Swords will also like liquid ferts and the stem plants like your Rotala, will also like the root tabs too.
Nothing yet. Will but friday. I saw a tetra branded liquid fertiliser. Anything specific i need to search for?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
If you can find SeaChem Flourish (Not Excel, that's different) Comprehensive, that will last you quite a while and it's more concentrated than Tetra is which means it's better for your plants. 1 Drop per gallon once a week is all you need, Tetra needs more and so you go through it quicker. API is okay too.

SeaChem also makes root tabs, API does too, I use both and they're both good.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
The tabs have directions. I just put a couple tabs, you push them into the substrate and the package has directions for how far apart they should be. I use less than they recommend and just put them near the plants that need it most like Amazon Swords. I don't put it directly under the plant but about 4-6 inches away or in between plants works as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Sure, thanks man. Will get the api fertilizer and tabs and some plants. Posting pics friday.
Another question that bother me. Why does the plants roots break easily wen fish bite on the plants?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
The roots may be dead then if they break that easy. Roots should be nice and white/green, healthy looking, not brown or black (unless it's a Java Fern or African Fern, those ones are black and stringy looking). Roots will grow anywhere on the stem, not just under the gravel so if they're ones that are floating or just not in the gravel, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
The roots may be dead then if they break that easy. Roots should be nice and white/green, healthy looking, not brown or black (unless it's a Java Fern or African Fern, those ones are black and stringy looking). Roots will grow anywhere on the stem, not just under the gravel so if they're ones that are floating or just not in the gravel, I wouldn't worry about it.
Roots are brown on most of the once that break of but im sure after fertilizer and tabs it would be nices and ferm. Do i continuously use fertilizer even after i get the desired look and amount of plants ?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yeah, keep dosing once a week. The plants are constantly feeding on the nutrients so if you take that away, they'll start to die again.

It may take a few weeks to a month before you start to see good results from the fertilizers, so be patient and stick with it ^_^

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Thanks for always helping me. Just a pity about the fish. But im going for an all guppies tank. Buy 7 friday. Had a bad experience after not listening to you. Thanks once again

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I'm glad to help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The screenshot is a list of what I'm planing to buy tomorrow.
I would like to create an carpet infront and back of the sponge filter. Any suggestions? (dont want java fern) and im looking at Marsilea Minuta (any reason why not?)
Behind the air house i would like to add Anubias. (any reason why not?)

Vas. Growing nicely to cover the internal filter
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Ah, your vals are looking fantastic!! :-D

I would not do Minuta, it's a sort of easy plant but you still need to have lots of experience under your belt before you try it. Why not java fern or java moss? Both are fantastic and super easy. Anubias is great, I recommend it!

Did you want some sort of moss to grow on the filter or just a plant to go around it like the Rotala is?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
If it wont hurt the filter than on it will also work.
Im looking for a carpet to cover the substrate.
I would like to create a low grass feel and the java wont get me that effect

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Ah, try to find Microsword; it's easier than dwarf hairgrass, needs lots of root tabs but will work. Takes a little while to grow but it will get there eventually with some care and nurturing ^_^

And no, Java Moss won't hurt the filter, it may be a little difficult to clean but you just need to squish/squeeze gently the sponge every now and then. Don't put it on the internal filter though, let the Vals grow bigger and they'll cover it eventually.

121 - 140 of 222 Posts