Tropical Fish Keeping banner

81 - 100 of 222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Ah, actually, cutting or trimming the roots a bit is healthy when you put the plant in a new tank! It will actually stimulate growth of the roots which is what you want :) And yes, separate and trim off the mushy or brown parts and that should help it.

Plants go through an acclimation period just like fish do, so some of them may not be able to acclimate to your water; just know that. Some may die off for good and others may melt a little and then bounce back once they are happy with your water and adjusted to it. So don't get discouraged if you kill a few plants in the process, live plants is a big step to take most of the time :) There is a lot to it than meets the eye!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I trimmed the roots of some of the plants nw and cut the bunch into single roots (if that's correct) and seperated all. The shortest distance two plants are 3 cm and there's two plants are connected with one root (i left it so).
I feel stupid because you explained already but i still don't know if I'm correct

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It's okay, we all learn in different ways so I don't mind it. But yes, you are good with what you did. If they are part of the same stem, you can leave them or cut them, either is fine to do and won't hurt the plant :) You don't have to do huge spaces between them, but like a 1cm space is just fine :) You can move them further apart if you really want to, it won't hurt the plant either way if you want to at least 1cm or further apart, you just don't want them all planted in the same very place.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
:) thank you alot. As they grow and i cut them. I will fill in the spaces in between. I just want to know when i can aquascape the plants the way i want it?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yep! You can scape it now and just let them grow. It won't look like much until you actually get more plants or let these ones propagate. It's going to take a few months before you get anything substantial going. The 29 gallon I showed you, that's been up like that for a year and a half now and the scape has changed quite a bit but the current scape has been growing for 8 months. But I also bought a lot of plants to begin with so it was more full when I started compared to yours. I just don't want you expecting a tank like mine right off the bat unless you spent lots of money! You'll get a tank like mine with time though, nice lush and full of plants!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Lol. Aslong aa i get there im happy. I just want my tank runing perfectly and see the transformation from where i started

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Is it a problem if paradise hide most of the day. One is in the shipwreck and one between the plants? And the smaller snail haven't move for 2days?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It means that the fish is stressed out. Paradise fish are kind of like dogs in the fact that they're always up and around you and happy to see you mostly. If they aren't, then they're stressed out from something. Likely it's being bullied by the other Paradise and the Angelfish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Both paradise are acting like that after i changed the water this morning. I checked the parameters. Ph stil 8 but ammonia is slightly darker than 0ppm bit not the colour of 0.25

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Okay, pH is fine. They both could be bullied by the Angelfish. Paradisefish are like any other gourami or betta; they need highly planted tanks like mine usually to be happiest. Or at the very least, have some floating plants (fake or real doesn't matter) so they can claim a territory up at the top. Floating Water Sprite is the best plant for this or Hornwort.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I will first see how successful this grow and get fertiliser before gettinf new plants. Also can i usr Valisneria to cover some areas at the top

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yes, the Val plant will grow nice and tall and bend at the water surface :) I wouldn't float it though, just let it grow upwards.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I was thinking let ot float from left to right and right to left and than let all the rest (Anacharis and Rotala Indica) grow tall and touch it

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Better to float the anacharis, that does better. The vallisneria doesn't like to be floated much

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
We had 5 hour loadshedding. I changed the water and vaccum the gravel. Water temperature was between 23-24. I tested the water a few hours later. Ph was 8 and ammonia was a bit darker than 0ppm.
Now some of the white clouds has pink gills and swordtails has swollen pink gills and there top fin are down.
What do I do? Is daily water changes the only thing i can do?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Do their gills look like this? If so, they are healthy:

Fish don't always hold up their fins so the dorsal being down isn't an issue at all. Are you sure the Molly's have swollen gills? Don't suppose you can get pictures of top view and side?

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Yeah, those look like healthy gills to me.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Okay.

81 - 100 of 222 Posts